• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 4 Newport IoW 0
20th September 2003
DAVID Staff opened his account for the season with a brace as Lynn maintained their unbeaten start with their best performance to date.
Peter Morris' side had too much craft for a physical Newport side, .who had keeper Simon Arthur to thank for keeping the score at a respectable level.
Lynn's front pairing of Bobbie Harris and Malcolm Ndekwe gave The Islanders a torrid afternoon, Staff was back to his sublime best, while the returning Jamie March gave The Walks outfit an extra dimension down the left.
It was Staff who gave Lynn the lead in the 10th minute with a 25-yard free-kick that would have made England star David Beckham sit up and take note.
Eight minutes later, Ndekwe pierced open the Newport defence for Robbie Harris, who did everything right only to see his shot turned away for a corner by Arthur.
Midway through. the half a flowing passage of play involving Adam Jones, Ndekwe and Jack Defty led to Harris poking the ball home from close range for Lynn's second. 
Paul Raynor then picked out Harris with a peach of a pass in the 33rd minute, but once again the striker was foiled by Arthur.
Arthur then saved Carl Holmes' header from a Jones centre before a Ndekwe cross came at an awkward .height to Harris, who directed his shot over the woodwork.
Despite Lynn's dominance, the first period was very much a stop-start affair with referee Mr Jones taking centre stage with a performance that made a mockery of good officiating. Many of his decisions angered the home faithful and the Linnets bench, with physio Dave Edgley receiving a first-half ticking off for making his feelings known to the Lincoln-based official.
Lynn had a blatant penalty claim waved away when Ndekwe was floored by Simon Pilcher in the box in the 21st minute.
Mr Jones infuriated the crowd even further when Stephen Richardson remained on the field after clearly pole-axeing March with an elbow their spell at the start ff the second half and Steve Wilson, largely redundant between the posts, denied Danny Hatcher in a rare opening for the visitors.
Lynn regained the initiative and Defty, Harris and Ndekwe were at the fore for Lynn's third in the 54th minute, which saw Staff brilliantly finish on the edge of the box.
A crude lunge on Ndekwe by Jon Holmes saw the striker limp off minutes later, but Lynn soon added a fourth when Defty and Harris combined to set up the easiest of finishes for Holmes.
Lynn were so much in control that Morris introduced promising 16-year-old Liam Forshaw into the action for his senior bow late on and the youngster could have quite easily added to the final tally with more luck in front of goal. Lynn: Wilson, Jones, March, Burrows, Fuff, Defty (Huke 71), Staff, Raynor, Ndekwe (Woodrow 56), Harris (Forshaw 76), Holmes. Subs not used: Glarvey and Nobes.
Newport IoW: S. Arthur, I. Buckman, A. Lang, P Tagg (J. Holmes 35), S. Pilcher. S. Richardson, G. Keeping, G. Howes (A. Wright 61), J. O'Rourke, D. Hatcher, L. Chudy (A. Bardswell 61). Not used: A. Perry and C. Bridges.
Referee: A. Jones (Lincoln).
Attendance: 713.
MoM: David Staff.
Bookings, Lynn: Holmes (encroachment, 15), Staff (dissent, 27).
Newport: Howes (late tackle, 29) Holmes (late tackle 51).
Report by permission of the Lynn News
Report by permission of the Lynn News