• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 Grantham Town 2
20th September 1972
Tony Woolmer put Lynn back on the goal path on Wednesday in a fast and entertaining game against Grantham at The Walks.
His two goals were the first Lynn had scored in the Southern League fixture since Gloucester were beaten on August 28. They must have given Lynn, and Woolmer in particular, a lot of heart.
But they were not enough to beat league newcomers Grantham who have settled down quickly in the Southern League after dominating the Midland League for several seasons. Twice Grantham pulled back with goals that should really not have come about.
Lynn adopted a refreshingly positive attitude from the start although they were basically playing a 4-3-3 system. A one-two move between Woolmer and Clarke ended with Clarke shooting wide, then a Woolmer shot was curving into the goal before Gardiner palmed over.
When Gardiner gave away an indirect free kick or taking too any steps, 18 players crowded into the penalty area. Their presence was not really necessary because Bloxham's shot lacked power.
Lynn's first goal was the result of shocking mix-up by Down and Gardiner. They both fumbled Kerr's long pass down the middle when challenged by Woolmer and when the ball ran loose Woolmer had the easiest of chances to score.
But back came Grantham, who have an average three goals a game in league matches, and although there was a slice of luck about their equaliser some moves leading up to it looked dangerous. Chambers' 36th minute corner was headed by Radcliffe but bounced back off the back of Benskin and into the net.
Early in the second half another Grantham corner again had Lynn in trouble. Horobin's in-swinger was left by Radcliffe and clipped the post, going on to Norris who fortunately blazed over the bar from six yards out.
Straight from this let-off Lynn regained the lead with a classic goal. Clarke, on the left, took on a defender and made space for his centre which swung away from Gardener, Woolmer was perfectly placed to move in and head home.
So once again Grantham had to come out of their defensive shell. This left gaps for Lynn to exploit and a smart move by Bloxham and Woolmer opened the way for Wright, but Gardener got down to block his shot. Bloxham featured in another run, with Lindsay getting in the final header straight at Gardiner.
Lynn were looking good now, but the way in which Grantham levelled for a second time deflated them. With just an hour gone, full back Bloomer advanced upfield. He cut inside and looked up to see who was free, but with all his forwards covered he stubbed in a 25-yard dipping shot which deceived Steel completely and landed in the corner of the net.
Grantham could now retreat and let Lynn start from scratch again. A low sizzling cross from Clarke which swept past Wright and then a good pass fro Brooks which was taken fro Lindsay's path looked promising, but the best effort came a minute into injury time when a fierce drive from Lindsay had Gardener beaten and was less than a foot away from the far post.
This was the second draw between the clubs in 10 days and in both matches there has been very little between them. If both teams keep up this standard they will both be challenging at the top towards the end of the season.

Lynn: Steel; Radcliffe, Kerr, Painter, Smith, Brooks, Lindsay, Woolmer, Bloxham, Clarke, (sub. Easthall).
Grantham: Gardener, Bloomer, Cranford, Thompson, Down, Chambers, Horobin, Taylor, Norris, Harrison, Benskin (Sub, Barnes). Attendance: 570
Report by permission of the Lynn News