• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Salisbury City 0 King's Lynn 3
21st October 2001
THE Linnets made it three wins in a row with a comfortable 3-0 victory at basement side Salisbury City.
The Walks side also moved up into 12th place on Saturday after scoring three times in all of their last three games.
In truth, the home side who are still without a win all season and had a man sent off only had some poor Linnets finishing to thank for not getting an even sounder beating.
It was an absolute canter and we made them look very poor. We should have won by ten, said Linnets boss Tony Spearing.
The sending-off had nothing to do with the result we were battering them at the time.
Lynn's defence remained composed early on despite a high energy start from Salisbury.
City s promising opening was unsettled after 15 minutes when they lost ex-Southampton defender Andy Cook to a nasty cut above the eye when he clashed with Linnets captain Dave Robinson while defending a corner.
From that moment the Linnets assumed almost total control of the match.
First, Kristian Jones fired over when clean through on goal and then Craig Clark missed the target from a header six yards out after a precision cross from Adie Hayes.
After 30 minutes when Clark lost his cool following an over-keen challenge from 18-year-old Salisbury striker Darren Crook. Both players were booked, but Clark was lucky to stay on the pitch after kicking-out and then appearing to try and punch Crook.
After a succession of chances Linnets finally broke the deadlock on 45 minutes when skipper Dave Robinson bundled home a Wright free-kick from six yards out.
Hayes instantly came close to doubling the lead with a volley that flew over.
But seconds later Salisbury were down to ten men when Crook was sent-off for another late tackle, this time on Wright.
After the break, Steve Wilson was forced into a rare save, turning a fierce shot around his near post from City substitute Martin Underhay.
Linnets' dominance in possession was rewarded on 56 minutes as Hayes broke down the left and set up an easy tap-in for Jones.
Further clear-cut chances then went begging to Hayes, Jones and Lee Hudson before the visitors finally settled the match.
Sub Jamie Clarke headed home at the far post after an excellent move involving Clark, Jamie March and Jones. This was Clarke's third goal of the season as substitute. Salisbury: T. Malessa, S. Bartlett, A. Cook (S. Richardson 14; R. Speakman 74), R. Gibbon, R. Emms, M. Davies, W. Turk, D. Crook, M. Shepherd, R. Matthews (M. Underhay 55), T. Bowers.
Lynn: Wilson, Dakin, March, Robinson (Minett 77), Fuff, Clark, Wright (J. Clarke 69), Hayes (White 80), Jones, Hudson, Anderson.
Booked, Linnets: Craig Clark (30, fighting), Simon Dakin (40, dissent). City: Darren Crook (30, foul)
Sent off, City: Crook (45, foul).
Attendance: 324. Referee: K. Hawkes (Quedgeley).
Man of the match: Adie Hayes.
Report by permission of the Lynn News