• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Newport IoW 3 King's Lynn 0
21st September 2002
THE Linnets were left to reflect upon their missed chances on Saturday after surrendering a four match unbeaten run after Dean Greygoose was the sixth-ever Lynn keeper to be sent off.
Afterwards, Lynn manager Peter Morris bemoaned: "We had enough chances to have taken at least a point, but you get nothing for the way we defended."
Player-boss Steve Tate inspired a rejuvenated Newport side to an opening league victory in his first match in charge.
Morris named an unchanged starting line-up, but the long trek appeared to have had an adverse effect as the sluggish Linnets made a disastrous start.
With only ten minutes on the clock, Adam BARSDELL took advantage of some sloppy defending on the edge of the Linnets box and unleashed a left footed shot past Dean Greygoose.
Worse was to follow four minutes later when Newport striker Danny Gibbons shrugged off the challenges from Lee Cowling and Joby Gowshall only to be sent sprawling in the area as he attempted to round the advancing Greygoose.
The veteran goalkeeper was shown the red card forcing Morris to send on Simon Nobes in place of Gowshall and although the rookie keeper got his fingertips to GIBBONS' spot kick, he was beaten by the pace.
But the ten-man Linnets should have been on level terms when they were gifted two great opportunities in the space of two minutes.
After 27 minutes, Pete Tagg's weak back pass was intercepted by Paul Watts but goalkeeper Nick Flower was quickly off his line to block the shot.
Then Flower sent a goal-kick straight to Watts who passed inside for Lee Stephenson but his effort was saved.
Ten minutes before the break, Newport grabbed the crucial third goal against the run of play, courtesy of another defensive error.
Teenager Paul O'Connor's rightwing cross was intercepted by Nicky Blake but the inexperienced defender sliced his clearance across his own area straight to the lurking GIBBONS, who made no mistake from close range. Jones replaced Blake for the second half as both sides continued to create chances.
Stephenson fired narrowly wide before Wayne Anderson's low drive in the 62nd minute beat Flower only to hit the base of the post, a feat repeated at the other end five minutes later by Paul Morby.
To their credit, the Linnets continued to push forward, prompted by the experienced Paul Raynor, and Watts had a couple of good efforts saved as they belied their one-man disadvantage.
Newport: Flower, O'Connor, Lang, Cole, Tagg Isaacson, Morby, Pilcher (Connor 72), Gibbons, Tate (Perry 66), Barsdell (Udy 60). Subs not used: Bridges, Hughes.
Lynn: Greygoose, Staff, Blake (Jones 46), Gowshall (Nobes 14), Fuff, Cowling, Anderson, Raynor, Watts, Stephenson, olmes (Bacon 51). Not used: Weston, Johnson.
eree: F. Mackrell. Attendance: 263.
Bookings: Newport - Gibbons (foul) 31, Connor (foul) 79. Lynn Cowling (foul) 75, Sent Off Greygoose (foul) 14
Report by permission of the Lynn News