• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Banbury United 0 King's Lynn 3
21st October 2003
A FREAK injury to Linnets striker Robbie Harris soured a memorable Lynn display at the Spencer Stadium on Tuesday night.
Harris, a second half substitute for Mark Camm, had only been on the field 11 minutes went he went over awkwardly under no pressure from a Banbury opponent.
The youngster was stretchered off and was in obvious discomfort as he left the field.
By that time Lynn had maintained their unbeaten record and moved up to second in the table with some of their best football of the season, especially in the first period when Banbury were torn apart.
Morris said: "I thought we were tremendous in-the first half.
"We played some great football tonight and I hope that performance has answered a few people. The lads coming back and who played with flu were marvellous, especially Paul Raynor."
On Camm, Morris said: "Mark is very fit, gets his foot in and plays it simple. He could be one one hell of an asset to us with his enthusiasm."
Banbury's defence were cut to shreds time and time again by Lynn, who showed what an effective side they can be when they keep the ball on the floor.
Jack Defty and David Staff both went close early on, before in the 25th minute a Staff corner found the head of Carl Holmes, who looped a header past home keeper Simon Tricker to give Lynn the lead.
A minute later it was 2-0 when some slick build up play resulted in Holmes rifling home a 20-yard drive past Tricker.
It should have been 3-0 less than 60 seconds later when Paul Raynor picked out Staff, who saw his shot brilliantly smothered by the Banbury keeper.
Two minutes later the tigerish Camm, who has made a big difference to the Linnets midfield, fired over and soon after Chris Bacon was denied by an acrobatic stop by Tricker, who was keeping his side in the game.
Tricker was again on hand to thwart Staff off a certain goal 10 minutes before the break and a minute later Bacon headed wide.
Lynn switched off close to the interval and Steve Wilson had to turn Mark Simms' shot round the post, while George Redknap blasted wide when clean through on the stroke of the interval.
With three players returning from flu and two others carrying the virus, Lynn understandably tired a little after the break.
But it was still the Linnets who carved out the better openings, a Bacon header was saved at point blank range by Tricker in the 54th minute, while Holmes had a great chance for his hat-trick cleared off the line.
The third goal eventually came in the 76th minute when Raynor's corner picked out Defty, who was left unmarked in the box.
Banbury's best chance of the match came in the dying seconds when Lynn's back four were caught square and Simms sliced his effort wide with just Wilson to beat.
Banbury: S. Tricker, W. Blossom, J. Corbett, K. Sullivan, J. Allen, P. Eldridge, O. Stanbridge, D. Billington, MSimms, G. Redknapp, N. Buxton (L. Robinson 38). Subs not used: A. Stidder, R. Breslin, D. Spriggs and K. Brock.
Lynn: Wilson, Harvey, March, Burrows, Fuff, Defty, Camm (Harris 78, Ndekwe 90), Raynor, Bacon (Woodrow 71), Staff, Holmes. Subs not used: Glarvey and Nobes.
Referee: Mr Stephen Fay (Luton). Attendance: 285.
Linnets Banbury
8 Shots on target 4
7 Shots off target 7
14 Corners 2
13 Free kicks conceded 15
6 Caught offside 4
0 Bookings 0
Lynn News Man of the Match - Mark Camm/Paul Raynor
Report by permission of the Lynn News
Report by permission of the Lynn News