• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 3 Redditch United 2
21st October 1972
LYNN tore Redditch apart in eight golden minutes at The Walks on Saturday to win a game that looked well out of their reach.
Three quick-fire goals shattered the Midlanders and kept the Linnets in a challenging position with the Southern League Division One (North) pacemakers.
Standard of Lynn's play often brought despair to their supporters - as in the two previous home league games against Wellingborough and Tamworth - but the end result was what mattered.
And the tally of seven points from the last four games cannot be ignored even if it's been a tortuous route.
If plans to strengthen the playing squad come to fruition this week the picture should look even brighter for Lynn.
For something like an hour on Saturday, Lynn seemed to need more than the talked-of two new faces.
Redditch, who had lost their previous three league matches after going seven games without defeat at the start of the season, were the more energetic and enterprising side.
Lynn had a lot of possession without making headway and even when Redditch struck with deadly simplicity in the 17th minute they seemed unable to raise their game.
The goal came from the first corner won by Redditch. Smart's bouncing centre weaved past two attackers and two defenders at the near post, leaving Ray Howell time to shoot in.
Five minutes later another corner caused Lynn problems and Howell got in a header which Steel saved at full stretch. Second goal came in the 36th minute. A floated 25yard free kick by Steve Shaw caught out Steel and crept just under the bar.

Lynn's goal chances were few and far between and the only time the towering Les Brookes had been extended in the Redditch goal was in the third minute when he was late getting down to Lindsay's low shot and he scrambled the ball for a corner.
There was more sting about Lynn's attacks in the second half as they fought to cut back the two-goal deficit and eventually it was Brookes who proved to be the weak link in the Redditch line-up. In the 63rd minute he used his height to advantage to jump clear of David Brooks to, collect John Kerr's high centre, then he fumbled the ball and David Clarke shot strongly into a narrow gap just inside the post.
The Redditch 'keeper was again at fault in the 69th' minute. Clarke collected his poor clearance and slammed in a fierce 30-yard shot past his right hand to put the scores level.
A lifeless game had been given a tremendous tonic and there was more to come just two minutes later, The hardworking Mick Wright shot over a centre from the left which Brookes made no effort to collect, and from the six yard line Tony Woolmer headed in at the far post.
Lynn now turned it on: Woolmer's swerving shot had Brookes diving low, Lindsay made a long run only to see Brookes block his shot. Kerr clipped the bar with a dipping drive from 20 yards.
But there was still only a goal separating the teams when Walker presented Smart, with a clear. chance as the Lynn defence found themselves stretched. Steel moved out quickly and Smart tamely pushed his shot wide. Lynn: Steel; Radcliffe, Kerr, Painter, Smith, Wright, Brooks, Lindsay, Woolmer, Bloxham, Clarke. (Sub. Easthall).
Redditch: Brookes; Reece, Shaw, Hamilton, Taylor, Sanders (sub. Shinton 76 mins), Smart, Wereham, Walker, Howell, Ingram.
Attendance: 458.
King's Lynn 4th in the League P14 W6 D4 L4 F19 A17
Report by permission of the Lynn News