• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Margate 1 King's Lynn 0
22nd January 2000
DON'T mention the word late to the Linnets.
First Lyndon Rowland arrived ten minutes after kick-off because of a ten-mile tailback on the M25 due to a lorry fire and chemical spillage which delayed supporters (and press men). Luckily the rest of the team had travelled overnight.
Then Margate gained a late penalty they barely deserved to sneak a win and end Lynn's 11-match unbeaten run.
Lynn had much the better of the game and hit the bar twice.
After the game Linnets boss Gary Mills admitted that this result - which leaves them 19 points behind leaders Boston has put paid to Lynn's title ambitions this year.
"Although it is mathematically possible I wouldn't put my mortgage on it, even though Boston have got a lot of games to lose and we've got a lot to win." said Mills. "We're not the sort of side to give up and we're aiming to get three points on Saturday.
"We were very unlucky. They had one shot - a penalty. We had the better opportunities and they've been given a penalty. Mark (Harbottle) says he took his leg away from the player, but the referee is always going to give it.
" I changed the system and it worked very well."
This change, to a 3-4-3 formation, involved Emeka Nwadike starting the match. Despite being booked early on, he did not mis-time another tackle and linked well with his team mates going forward.
"He sat there very well on the right," added Mills. "Conditions were bad but we dealt with them very well."
Lynn had to contend with a freezing, blustery cross field wind on a sloping pitch.

They were playing down the slope and with the wind against them in the first half, but coped admirably and were unfortunate not to go in at half-time a goal ahead.
On the half-hour mark, Paul Sykes volleyed over from Mark Munday's free-kick, but then Linnets enjoyed their best period of the match.
Dave Puttnam broke down the left, crossed to the opposite side of the home area, where an effort from Jon Palmer making his first start for three months - was smartly turned round the post by Lee Turner.
The persistent Shaun Keeble did well to beat a defender to a long ball but Turner again saved at his near post. Then in a wild goalmouth melee from a corner, Keeble hit the bar and Palmer's follow-up was blocked as The Gate somehow scrambled a clearance.
After a quiet first quarter of an hour of the second half, Palmer wasted an excellent chance by heading wide a Tony Marsden cross. Puttnam's cross bizarrely eluded everyone and the net, then Glen Fuff was denied by the bar after bullet-heading a Puttnam free-kick with 15 minutes left.
Chuck Martini saved from Sykes and Jay Saunders, but otherwise the Lynn defence was its usual solid self.
Another draw seemed likely until Eliot Martin weaved dangerously into the left edge of the box. Mark Harbottle went in to challenge, Martin went over looking for the penalty and it was duly given. Sykes stepped up to hit it hard and low to give Martini no chance.
There was still time for Dave Robinson to direct an overhead kick wide from a corner.

Lynn:  Martini,  Nwadike (Turner 83),  Spearing,  Robinson.  Fuff, Clark, Harbottle,  Marsden, Keeble,  Palmer  Puttnam. Subs (not used) Rowland, McGinty.
Turner, Blackford, O'Brien, Edwards Porter, O'Connell, Munday (Lamb 64), Martin, Sykes, Collins, Saunders. Subs (not used) Greatorex, Yorath.

Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn466313 Nwadike (9 foul)
Lynn News Man of the Match - Emika Nwadike
Report by permission of the Lynn News