• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Burscough 0 King's Lynn 4
22nd August 2009
IT may have been two matches overdue, but the Linnets opened their UniBond points account with a stylish win at Burscough on Saturday.
From the moment free-kick specialist Gareth Sheldon fired Lynn in front midway through the first half, there was only ever going to be one winner as The Walks outfit equalled their record win on their travels in the UniBond League.
Delighted Linnets boss Carl Heggs said: "The three points were obviously important, but it was the manner of how we won which was more impressive.
"After the game, the Burscough manager and his assistant both said that we will win the UniBond League if we continue to put in performances like that.
"They said we were the best side they'd seen for some time."
Barbadian international Anthony Robinson was Lynn's two-goal hero after making his debut following a suspension carried over from last season.
Heggs also took the brave decision to drop skipper Craig McAughtrie and hand the captain's armband to Andy Boyce, who was partnered by Liam Murray at the heart of the Lynn defence.
"I said to the chairman before the game that giving Boycie the captaincy would go one of two ways - either he stuck his chest out and show what a good player he is or he would go into his shell.
"But he played how I hoped he would. He's 6ft 4ins, only 19 and I want him to go up the football pyramid. He can do that here with us."
After an even opening, in which Burscough goalkeeper Mark Halstead had already denied Robinson, the Linnets were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box.
Sheldon gratefully stepped up and drove a trademark free-kick low into the bottom corner, leaving Halstead well beaten.
Halstead made an excellent save from a Sheldon miss-hit, and was again quick off his line, this time to save at Matthew Birley's feet, while Matt Parry made a fine last-ditch tackle on Birley as Lynn went for the kill before the break.
The only surprise was that it took ten minutes into the second period for Lynn's second goal to materialise when Owen Story's shot was well-saved by Halstead before the loose ball hit Burscough's Darren Brookfield and went into the net.
Lynn's third goal arrived in the 70th minute when Robinson collected Sheldon's flick before guiding the ball home.
Four minutes from time the powerful Robinson found himself in the clear before rounding Halstead to complete the scoring.
Burscough: Halstead, Ryan (Field 83), Roberts, Parry, Kilbane, Moore, Brookfield, Kay (Byers 55), O'Donnell, Mitchley (McCulloch 63), Bowen Subs (not used) Dacey, Connolly
Lynn: White, Magunda, Martin, Birley, Boyce, Murray, Story (Smith 63), Lloyd (Webb, 81), Sheldon, Robinson, Beswick (Green 72), Subs (not used) Johnson, McAughtrie.
Referee: N. S. Davies (Wirral). Attendance: 226.
MoM: The Lynn team - too many good performances to pick out one individual.
Report by permission of the Lynn News