• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Hillingdon 2
22nd August 1970
Hillingdon's run of success in Southern League games at Lynn continued on Saturday, when they scored twice in six minutes in the second half to take the points that for a long time seemed to be heading Lynn's way.
A goal up and with the forwards creating good chances, Lynn looked quite capable of ending Hillingdon's unbeaten run at The Walks.
But then two moments of slackness in defence cost Lynn the game: and it meant that from the opening three games Lynn have only one point to show.
In all three games, Lynn have scored first and then let the points slip away. This should not have happened on Saturday, when the goal chances should have been snapped up.
There were many times when Hillingdon goalkeeper Mick Lowe made tremendous saves and on other occasions the ball ran awkwardly when a goal seemed "on".
But the Lynn attack must still be kicking themselves for not making sure of the game. All the good and determined approach work came to nothing in the penalty area with the inability to convert centres or put away the final shot out of Lowe's reach.
And these misses stand out all the more from the way in which Hillingdon moved quickly into attack to score their winning goals.
Lynn's defence generally looked stronger than Hillingdon's, with Peter Robinson again having an impressive game, which makes it all the ore surprising that they should have given away two goals.
Lynn had started brightly with Jim Oliver beating ex-England international Jim Langley with ease but from two centres Cliff Jones' shot was blocked and Mick Wright's shot spun across the gaol.
Former Chelsea winger Tommy Knox beat Oliver and Graham Ricketts in a determined run and Alec Bugg moved out of his goal to save well.
In the 15th minute Cliff Jones grazed the Hillingdon bar with a chip shot over Lowe's head and then he put Wright away with Lowe coming out to turn the ball round the post.
Finally Lynn took the lead in the 31st minute with a free kick movement that has been seen before at the walks but has previously not ended in a goal.
Jones was fouled outside the area and the first move towards the free kick was taken by David Brooks, who ran over the ball into the heart of defence. Wright took the kick sliding the ball to John Kerr over-lapping on the wing and his shot fro behind the defence was squeezed into the goal.
Lynn held control now and early in the second half an unmarked Brian Jenkins had a fine chance from Oliver's centre. He headed downwards and the ball bounced up on the bar and Lowe smothered Rudd's effort from the rebound. A goal then and Lynn could have sewn the game up, but even so they did not look in great danger as Jones and Jenkins together almost forced the ball in from another Oliver centre.
But in the 56th minute, Bill Carter went to the near post to meet Vafiadis' low free kick and he turned the ball into the net.
Six minutes later Knox took a return pass and floated a centre to the six yard line. Not one Lynn player moved for the ball and Vafiadis simply headed the ball back into the far corner of the net.
Lowe, who had played so well to keep Hillingdon in the game new defied Lynn's efforts to get back on level terms. He saved brilliantly from Brooks and Ricketts who put in hard close-range shots that would have beaten most goalkeepers.
Kerr, who had been troubled with calf muscle injury went off in the 69th minute to be replaced by Reg Davies. Lynn kept up the pressure but with the defence weakened it seemed just as likely that Hillingdon would score a third as Lynn would manage an equaliser.
This was shown ten minutes from time when Rudd's accurate header was saved straight away at the other end Eddie Reeve's shot went through Bugg's fingers and just slipped over the bar.
Lynn: Bugg: Ricketts, Kerr (sub Davies): Robinson, Porter, Wright; Oliver Brooks, Rudd, Jenkins, Jones.
Attendance: 1,914.
Report by permission of the Lynn News