• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Spalding 5 King's Lynn 2
22nd September 1975
The Linnets have missed the FA Cup boat this season - and the chance of picking up good gate receipts in later rounds.
They were dismissed from the competition on Monday by United Counties League side Spalding giving a weak performance on the neutral Boston United ground in the second replay of their 1st qualifying round tie.
The Linnets and their small band of supporters were stunned when Spalding scored three goals in 12 minutes early in the second half. The man who caused Lynn all the problems was ex-Wisbech forward Geoff Biggs. He mesmerised the defence in this astonishing period with skilful ball control and supreme confidence.
It was Biggs who had given a fifth minute warning when he broke away on the left to centre accurately and Marchant headed against the post. After 19 minutes Biggs fastened on to a mis-hit pass back by Nigel Smith and he swerved past Ivan Haistead to score into an empty net.
Lynn hit back quickly after this give-away goal. Following one flurry when Lindsay had a shot smack against the post, they won a free kick 20 yards out which Jimmy Stewart struck home (in off the post this time).
But Spalding regained the lead in the 28th minute, It was a somewhat fortunate goal with a hopeful shot from Coates going over a crowd of defenders and dropping into the corner of the net.
Although a goal down at the interval, Lynn were still in the match. And they could have equalised in the 49th minute when the Spalding defence opened up as Dominic McCallum collected the rebound but he shot wide with only McPherson to beat.
Spalding - and Biggs in particular - took over after this. In the 53rd minute Biggs popped up on the left, evaded Green's challenge and crashed home a tremendous shot, in the 55th minute he laid on the chance for Coates who scored with a low shot into the corner.
Lynn, totally disorganised, conceded a fifth when Eyett was left free to place a centre for Marchant to head over Haistead.
Unhappily for Lynn they had two players booked during this period, Moore for dissent and Reynolds for a foul.
Spalding seemed to let the success go to their heads and they could have been in trouble themselves had shots from Reynolds and Lindsay found the target. Reynolds just after having a shot hit the bar, challenged back as Spalding built up an attack and when he committed a foul in midfield was promptly sent off by Nottingham referee D. Smith.
Even with 10 men Lynn managed a second goal when Lindsay converted an 81st minute penalty. This came when substitute Chandler was brought down by the goalkeeper.
Spalding however finished as they had started with Marchant having misfortune with a shot that hit the post.
So all in all an unhappy experience for Lynn. In the first meeting at Spalding they gave away two goals, fought back to equalise and on chances could have won handsomely, at The Walks last week it was again a story of missed chances.
But at Boston the story was a different one with Spalding probing and finding weak spots and Lynn unable to put their game together.
Lynn, of course, were without Mick Wright in the centre of defence. Mel Green took over but did not look happy in that position and his strength in midfield was missed.
John Durant was included on the right wing, but did not get enough opportunities to use his speed against the Spalding defence.
Few of the team will look back at the game with satisfaction. But Jimmy Stewart so often criticised by The Walks supporters can be singled out for a full 100 per dent performance.
The overall impression however was that this was an X certificate performance by Lynn.
Lynn: Haistead, Moore, Johnston, Green, Smith, Stewart, McCallum, Durant (Chandler 64), Easthall, Lindsay, Reynolds.
Spalding: McPherson, D Hudson, L Hudson, Blizczak, Merrill, Baxter, Biggs, Eyett, Marchant, Coates, Reedman; sub Walmsley.
Referee: D Smith (Nottingham)
Report by permission of the Lynn News