• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 Corby Town 1
23rd January 2007
A double from Stephen Spriggs, making his first team debut, put Lynn into the quarter-finals. Spriggs gave Lynn, fielding a second-string side, a 2-0 half-time lead. Corby replied with a penalty but rarely threatened Reserve keeper Duncan McAnally's goal.
Lynn used triallist Lawrence Hunter, son of Norwich City coach Martin Hunter.
The 19-year-old is attending Loughborough College, and has been at Halifax. He played in a recent Norwich City Reserves friendly against Tottenham, as well as training with City's youth team and first-year pros.
Linnets manager Keith Webb said: "Lawrence hasn't played regularly lately, and I'll look at him at Thursday's training. I'm pleased with the result and performance.
"Reserves managers Keith Rudd and Matty Henman took charge of the game, which left me to go up in the stand and get a good view of it.
"Steve Spriggs worked hard up and down the field. He was a little tired towards the end, but that's understandable. He could be an asset to us.
"Young Sam Gaughran did alright, Luke Fell worked hard up front and Stephen Harvey worked hard in midfield.
"The penalty looked a fair decision. I don't question referee's decisions as it won't do us any good after the event."
Neither keeper was troubled in the first 20 minutes. Robbie Maddox - the El-Hadji Diouf of the BGB League Premier in The Walks fans' eyes after he broke Shaun Carey's leg here in the autumn - was predictably booed from the start.
On the half-hour mark, a good Luke Fell move down the left found Jack Defty, who set up Spriggs to open the scoring.
Five minutes before the break, despite having a man free in the box, Maddox tried and failed to lob McAnally, who had an assured game between the sticks.
Defty and Fell again split the defence on the left of the box, and a simple slide across the area enabled Spriggs (son of Steve Spriggs, who made a record 416 league appearance for Cambridge United) to bag his second at the far post.
Although Lynn tried to move the ball about again, the second half was even quieter, although Fell hit the bar.
Ex-Linnets and Swaffham player Kevin Ward came on for Corby with 20 minutes to go.
Andrew Cave-Brown was penalised for a foul on Corby's Steve Towers on the edge of the box, and Dom Hallows put away the penalty for the Steelmen.

Lynn: McAnally, Cave-Brown, C. Defty (Buhlemann 65), Gaughran, Crane, Fisk, Spriggs (Forshaw 81), Harvey, J. Defty, Fell, Hunter. Subs not used: Cussons, D. Hyde, Miller.
Goals: Spriggs 30, 44.
Corby: Clarke, Guiney, Hallows, Towers, Burrows, Gray (Marlow h-t), Darby (Ward 70), Goodwin, Byrne, Maddox, Pruton (Goodman 69). Not used: Evans. Goal: Hallows 80.
Att: 205. Referee: N. Hair (Peterborough).
Report by permission of the Lynn News