• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Tamworth 4 King's Lynn 1
23rd February 2002
LACKLUSTRE Linnets were slaughtered at The Lamb ground, which provoked anger from tanager Tony Spearing (see back page).
It was a day for old boys, with former Lynn boss Gary Mills managing the Tamworth side, which featured ex-Linnets Lee Wilson, Richard Follett and Mark Turner.
Mills did not pick himself due to a hamstring injury, but was content to watch his table-topping side secure a comfortable win.
Matty Clements was Lynn's only bright spark, and Mills was not the only one to express surprise when he was substituted on the hour.
Darren Suiter - making his first start of the season with Dave Robinson and Simon Dakin being suspended - produced some crucial tackles.
Suiter, Clements and the reliable Glen Fuff apart, the Linnets did not impress.
On a day which had blizzards, hail and bright sunshine, Lynn faced the wind and sun in the first half.
Within two minutes Wilson, with a fierce shot, forced a save from his namesake in the Lynn goal and repeated the trick on the quarter-hour mark.
Follett hit the post from 20 yards out, while David Foy and Darren Roberts also went close to scoring.
But two quality left-foot strikes - his first at The Lamb - from Tony Hemmings put Tamworth 2-0 up at half-time.
The first was from a half-cleared corner, then hesitant defending enabled Hemmings to swerve the ball in the opposite bottom corner.
The Linnets' only chance of the opening half was Kevin White and Adie Hayes on the break feeding Paul Watts, who shot wide from the edge of the box.
Midway through the second half Wilson denied Hemmings his hat-trick with a good save.
Soon afterwards transfer-listed striker Lee Hudson, who had just come. off the bench, went down pole-axed in the Tamworth box following close attention from Darren Grocutt.
Play was eventually stopped and after much confusion and no indication from referee Mr Burton, a penalty was awarded - but no card, considering Hudson was through on goal.
Hayes, who had a spell on loan from Boston at The Lamb last season, confidently put away the spot-kick.
Any lifeline was short-lived as Steve Wilson was harshly adjudged to have given away his second penalty in two weeks. Follett looked to have taken the ball too far and fell over Wilson's hands.
Inconsistent refereeing meant Wilson was booked, and Darren Roberts converted the second penalty of the game.
On the stroke of full-time Turner volleyed goalwards a corner, Wilson caught the ball, but the well-placed referee said it had gone over the line.
Tamworth: D. Acton, R. Warner, R. Mutchell, D. Grocutt, P. Hatton, M. Turner, D. Foy, T. Hemmings, D. Roberts, R. Follett, L. Wilson (S. Rickards 90). Subs not used: M. Hallam, F. McHugh.
Lynn: Wilson, Suiter, March, White, Fuff, Mc Neil, Anderson, Hayes, Clements (Hudson 64), Watts (Rowe 64), Clarke. Not used: Welsh.
Booked, Linnets: Wilson (83, foul). Lambs: none. MoM: Darren Suiter. Att: 852.
Report by permission of the Lynn News