• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 4 Fleet Town 1
23rd August 2003
ROBBIE Harris celebrated signing an extended contract by coming off the bench to lead a late Linnets revival.
The match, which Lynn should have wrapped up in the opening 20 minutes, was evenly poised at 1-1 before the introduction of Harris and Malcolm Ndekwe saw Lynn come to life to bag three goals in the final 20 minutes.
Lynn had let a poor Fleet side back into the game, but just as the crowd's frustration was beginning to tell, Morris' double substitution worked wonders on the pitch.
In the 71st minute, Harris started and finished a move by reacting quickly to a poor visiting clearance, before Ndekwe's centre was sweetly struck home by Richard Woodrow in the bottom corner three minutes later.
Three minutes from time Lynn completed the rout when Chris Glarvey's audacious 25yard shot was given a helping hand into the net by Fleet keeper Carl Clayton.
The Walks outfit should have been well clear before their late show after dominating the early stages of Saturday's game.
In the third minute a neat piece of work by Jack Defty saw Chris Bacon side foot wide and three minutes later Woodrow saw his volley saved by the feet of Clayton.
A cricket score looked on the cards when Defty eventually headed Lynn into the lead with a carbon-copy of the goal he scored against Rothwell from Paul Raynor's corner.
Lynn continued to pour forward and in the 19th minute a Staff free-kick was headed wide by Bacon.
Staff then tested the Fleet keeper, before the same player crossed for Defty, whose header back was put wide by Bacon.
Woodrow saw a volley whistle over before indecision at the back saw Lynn concede their first goal of the league campaign.
Fuff's back header was well short of Steve Wilson, allowing Mark Frampton the easy task of nipping in to equalise.
Lynn remained largely on top, Fuff heading wide and Bacon having a scrambled effort ruled out for offside, but had a lucky break when Fleet were denied what looked a certain penalty eight minutes before the break.
Lynn went to sleep after the interval, although Woodrow went close at the start of the second period, while Shane Huke screwed a header miles wide when it would have been easier to score.
Fleet now looked content with a point, but Lynn had other ideas with Harris and Ndekwe both playing prominent parts in the final outcome.
Lynn: Wilson, Glarvey, Skelly, Burrows, Fuff, Huke (Ndekwe 65), Defty (Hyde 83), Raynor, Bacon (Harris 65), Staff, Woodrow. Subs not used: Nobes and Jones.
Fleet: C. Clayton, B. Buckland, M. Regan (B. Parker 77), J. Murphy (I. Saunders 85), L. Blakeley, E. Hare, S. Black, C. Ansley, S. Hale, M. Frampton, J. Proctor (B. Tiller 80). Not used: S. May.
Att: 647. Referee: J. Woodruffe (Cambs). 
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn News Man of the Match - Mark Burrows.
Report by permission of the Lynn News