• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 3 Stafford Rangers 2
23rd September 2000
LINNETS nearly lost a three goal lead against newly-promoted Stafford Rangers, but Gary Mills celebrated his 100th game in charge with a win.
In-form striker Lyndon Rowland bagged a first half brace and, after he limped off at half-time with a groin strain, they were a poorer side without him.
A brave second half fightback by Stafford meant the hosts grimly held on to the three points during the final 20 minutes.
Rowland had struggled on his arrival at The Walks late last season, but Mills was full of praise for him.
"Lyndon was full of himself. We asked him what he had for breakfast." said Mills.
"It was a magnificent performance for 45 minutes. The trouble is all of us played for 45 minutes. It was a good first half but it was disappointing to concede two goals. We feel a lot better now with 10 points out of 12. "
Linnets made a bright start, scoring after just five minutes. A slick interchange of passes involving half-a-dozen players saw Emeka Nwadike link up with Anton Thomas to find the unmarked Rowland on the left of the box to slot home.
Soon after, Antony Eccleston's effort took a wicked bounce and cannoned off home keeper Chuck Martini's chest. He then denied Scott Dundas, who shot from an acute angle after beating two defenders.
The Linnets doubled their advantage oh the half-hour mark when Rowland scored a carbon copy of his first strike, this time being set up by Nwadike and Dave Robinson's late run into the box.
They grabbed a soft third goal on 55 minutes when away keeper Richard Williams was unsighted by Jon Palmer's attempted hook and let in a weak close-range turn and shot from top scorer Robinson, who notched his fourth goal in six games.
But Rangers substitute Dean Craven inspired a comeback. Within ten minutes of coming on, his dangerous cross from the left was inexplicably headed into his own net from six yards by Craig Clark on the hour.
Immediately the hosts hit back as Williams had to save at the second attempt a fierce volley from Thomas and then tipped over a Palmer drive.
Craven, who was causing Lynn all sorts of problems down the left, gave the Boro a lifeline. He drew a defender before playing a sweet through ball to Dundas, who slipped the ball home from 10 yards.
In a nervy final 20 minutes, Martini blocked a Dundas effort and Simon Dakin cleared off the line.
Lynn: Martini, Dakin, Clark, Robinson, Fuff, March, Nwadike, Mills, Thomas (Bullimore 73), Rowland (Palmer h-t), Wright (Gibson 83).
Stafford: Williams, Simkin, Everritt, N. Smith, Brindley (J. Smith 17), Ryder, Boughey, Dean (Craven 51), Eccleston, Middleton, Dundas. Sub not used: Heath. 
Att: 888.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Stafford 8412210 Boughey (30, foul)
Lynn News Man of the Match - Lyndon Rowland
Report by permission of the Lynn News