• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 Corby Town 0
23rd September 2003
THEIR sixth successive league win meant Lynn rose a place to second in the table.
They enter two weeks of cup action breathing down the necks of local rivals Histon who beat Fisher 2-0 and are now just a single goal ahead.
Lynn went above Tonbridge by scoring one goal more than them on Tuesday, Tonbridge beating Burgess Hill 1-0, with ex-Lynn forward Lynden Rowland grabbing the winner.
A penalty on the half-hour from Carl Holmes and a late David Staff strike secured the points, but much earlier than that the Linnets had so many chances to seal it.
Only undisciplined shooting and heroics from visiting keeper Richard Lavin kept the score down.
Mark Burrows, who won everything all night in a commanding display, and Jack Defty celebrated their 50th games for the team.
Manager Peter Morris said: "We were very strong and disciplined and I thought we dominated them.
"I know they had a couple of shots, but I was delighted with our attitude and commitment.
"We needed the second goal to kill them off. Robbie Harris in another match could have had three or four.
He was tremendous. He held it up, put a lot of people in and made chances for himself.
"He's had two games in three days and is still a so hasn't got all his teenager, strength yet.
"We're defending better as a unit. Jamie March has helped, he's got pace and likes to tackle.
"Adam Jones is looking like the player he was at Mansfield.
"He's not 21 yet, and he came to us from a bad calf injury. In the summer he got a knock on the injury, and he's taken a while to get over it"
Robbie Harris had the first chance, his volley just missing the angle of bar and post in the 18th minute.
Corby, fielding former Linnets Jamie Hawthorn and Wayne Spencer, defended resolutely.
And they almost took a shock lead on 29 minutes when player-manager, the former Nottingham Forest ace Lee Glover, produced a brilliant save from Steve Wilson which proved to be the Steelmen's only shot on target.
This was crucial as a minute later Danny Marlow fouled Harris on the byline to give away a penalty.
Holmes confidently struck home the spot-kick.
Harris was a constant thorn in the Steelmen's side with his pace and control as Lynn had a great spell late in the opening half.
But Staff, Holmes and Harris shot wide of the target and Lavin saved from Holmes.
Mr Artis put his nomination forward for worst referee seen this year at The Walks (and there have many candidates recently) by booking Holmes early on for a no-contact challenge, then not acting on blatant fouls committed on Harris and Jamie March.
After the break Lynn continued to rain shots in.
Although their build up play was first-class Lynn at times tried to walk the ball into the net, Staff trying to back-heel it once, and lacked composure in front of goal, Holmes volleying wide.
Defty headed wide and Lavin denied Staff, Malcolm Ndekwe and Harris, who went off to an ovation.
Lynn eased the tension with five minutes left.
March robbed Marlow of the ball and Staff finished off the counter-attack by jinking this way and that before burying the ball.
There was still time for the overworked Lavin to pull off great diving saves from Staff and Harris' replacement Chris Bacon.
This was the 35th successive home game Lynn had scored in.
Lynn: Wilson; Jones (Glarvey 75), March, Burrows, Fuff, Defty, Staff, Raynor, Ndekwe (Bacon 80), Harris (Woodrow 80), Holmes. Subs not used: Huke, Nobes.
Corby: Lavin, Marlow, Scott Marshall, Glover„ Stewart Marshall, Hawthorn, Valiance (Harrold 86), Kennedy, Hardy, Spencer (Sneddon 75), Brown. Not used: Le Masurier, Stanton.
Referee: Mr S. Artis (Norwich). Attendance: 737.  \n
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn1393216 Holmes (late tackle, 3)
Corby Town135219 Marlow (foul, 31).
Lynn News Man of the Match - Mark Burrows/Robbie Harris
Report by permission of the Lynn News