• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Havant & Waterlooville 2 King's Lynn 2
23rd October 1999
LINNETS came from behind twice thanks to two defenders notching their first goals of the season.
In a niggling game on a greasy pitch, Simon Dakin and Craig Clark denied Havant their first home win of the season.
After delays on the M25 Lynn did not arrive until 2.20pm, which perhaps contributed to their slow start, but they finished the better side.
"We've done well and in the end we could have won it. We showed a lot of character to come back," said Lynn boss Gary Mills. "We've come a long way and we've got a point to take into two home games."
The captaincy was given to Dave Robinson rather than Jeremy Goss, which Mills explained: "I've tried giving it a switch. It's nothing against Jeremy and I've had a chat with Jeremy and Dave about it."
But the no-nonsense defender limped off at half-time, and the man who inherited the captain's armband, Clark, played by example.
"Craig's done well all season and he deserved his goal," added Mills.
Lynn were unlucky not to go ahead in the first minute. A move involving debutant Emeka Nwadike and Tony Spearing led to Dave Puttnam playing a one-two with Jeremy Goss and sending a perfect cross to Lee Wilson. The forward did the right thing by heading down, but somehow the ball bounced on a boggy surface and went over the bar. Former Coventry defender Liam Daish went close with a header, but Havant soon took the lead, Steve Tale turning in a dangerous cross at the near post.
The game degenerated into a series of free-kicks, Spearing marking his 100th game with a yellow card. However Lynn rescued a poor first half as Dakin grabbed his first goal for the club, scrambling in a quick Puttnam free-kick.
With Robinson's injury, Mills reverted to right-back but the hosts hit back early in the second half. Wilson lost possession, Matt Jones flicked on a long ball and with the away defence ball-watching, James Taylor was left to slide home at the far post.
The Hampshire side could have been further ahead but Simon Elley's centre hit the bar with Chuck Martini beaten. Mark Turner was denied by home keeper John Keeley, the rebound rolling agonisingly wide.
As Lynn took control in the last 20 minutes, Wilson's smart volley was unfortunately straight at Keeley. But after forcing a host of corners, Clark rose to nod a Puttnam flag-kick into the top corner. Steve McGinty fed Puttnam, who crossed for Jon Palmer - making his first start since March - to glance narrowly wide.
Havant nearly stole the points when Ben Price's long range effort took a wicked deflection off Tim Hambley's legs but Martini quickly responded with a diving save. Lynn: Martini, Dakin, Spearing, Robinson (Turner 45), Clark, Mills, Nwadike, Goss (McGinty 70), Palmer, Wilson, Puttnam. Subs (not used) Mardsen.
H&W: Milkins, Price, MacDonald, Elley, Daish, Wood. Hambley (Hinshalwood 73), Taylor, Jones. Subs (not used) Wyatt, Cook.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn483214 Wilson (21 foul)
Spearing (32, foul)
Dakin (57 dissent)
Goss (70, foul)
H&W 446516 Hambley (55, foul)
Elley (63, foul)

Lynn News Man of the Match - Craig Clark
Report by permission of the Lynn News