• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 Bashley 1
23rd November 2002
STRIKER Lee Stephenson continued his liking for scoring at The Walks as the Linnets extended their winning run to four matches.
Lynn's leading scorer bagged a second half brace to leave him with 13 league and cup goals for the season - all of which have come on home soil.
Two pieces of clinical finishing in the box dented Bashley's impressive record on their travels, while allowing a resurgent Lynn to close the gap on the leading pack in the table.
Lynn should have had the game wrapped up in the opening 20 minutes, but as usual missed their usual quota of chances in front of goal.
In the second minute, Stephenson just failed to convert a David Staff cross after a flowing move engineered by Paul Raynor.
Four minutes later Carl Holmes forced David Elm into a routine save to his right and soon after the same player volleyed the ball into a Bashley defender's mid-drift.
The loose ball broke to Mark Burrows just inside the box, but he blazed over when he should have done better.
Lynn took their foot off the pedal for the remainder of the half against a sharp-looking Bashley outfit, who create one or two chances of their own.
In the fifth minute Stuart Hussey shot straight at Dean Greygoose and the Lynn keeper had to be alert 11 minutes later when dealing with a stinging effort from Craig Davis.
Ten minutes before the break Mat Jones miscued his shot when well placed in the box and the defender came close again on the stroke of half time when he headed a Bavis centre over the bar.
Lynn regained their momentum after the break, Stephenson had an effort charged down in the 48th minute, before shooting straight into Elm's arms a few minutes later.
Peter Morris' side finally broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute when the busy Jack Defty picked out Stephenson, who confidently chipped the ball home for Lynn's 50th goal in all league and cup competitions this season.
David Staff, who was unusually quiet by his standards, had a glorious chance to make it 2-0 soon after following a delightful defence-splitting pass from Defty.
Lynn doubled their advantage and made sure of the three points eleven minutes later when Raynor played in Stephenson for his second of the afternoon.
Bashley pulled one back in the fifth minute of injury time when substitute Paul Sales netted with a header to leave Lynn fans with an anxious last few seconds. Lynn: Greygoose, Jones, Cowling (Blake 54), Burrows, Fuff, Defty, Weston, Raynor, Stephenson, Staff (Bacon 86), Holmes. Subs not used: Anderson, Harris and Nobes.
Bashley: D. Elm, A. Darnton, M. Lisk, D. Robson, M. Jones, A. Cook, G. Gee (P. Sales 68), C. Davis, D. Gibbons (R. Gillespie 81), S. Hussey, C. Anstey. Subs not used: G. Connolly, P. Stumey and K. James.
Attendance: 591. Referee: G. Kett (Norwich).
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn77436 Holmes (late tackle, 32)
Report by permission of the Lynn News