• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 4 Rugby United 3
23rd November 2004
LYNN'S transformation under new manager Tommy Taylor continued with their third successive win at The Walks on Tuesday night.
But the Linnets made hard work of their latest success, by gifting Rugby three goals after looking home and dry and set for an avalanche of goals at 3-0 in front.
Danny Bloomfield notched his eighth goal in five games while Jack Defty weighed in with a first half brace, the second of which was a stunner.
After the game Taylor said: "I'm delighted with the three points, but was disgusted with the way we defended for their three goals.
"We should have shut up shop at 3-0 and kept them 80 yards from our goal. We should have kept a clean sheet.
"We deserved to be 3-0 up as we did really well, but then we stopped running, stopped closing them down and let them run off us."
Bloomfield had an effort ruled out for offside and saw another chance well saved by Rugby keeper Hazell before opening his account for the night at the third time of asking.
Setchell's long ball from the back was flicked on by Chris Bacon for Bloomfield to lift the ball over the advancing keeper in the 17th minute.

Lynn doubled their advantage midway through the half when Defty powerfully headed home a David Staff centre.
Three minutes later, Defty picked up a loose ball 25-yards out before unleashing a rasping shot past the helpless Hazell for the third.
Adam Jones' volley whistled inches wide of the Rugby target, while Staff went close with one of his trademark freekicks.
Rugby reduced the arrears with their first attack of the match two minutes prior to the break when a quick breakaway caught the Lynn defence square and Robbie Beard slid the ball home.
There was still time for Carl Holmes to have a header cleared off the line and 14 minutes after the restart the same player nodded a chance against the woodwork.
A rare Rugby attack of the game in the 69th minute resulted in a second goal when Justin Marsden's shot took a wicked deflection off a Lynn defender and past Steve Wilson.
But Lynn bounced back with a fourth in the 77th minute when Staff's corner was glanced on by Bacon for Daniel Hammond to head in from close range.
Lynn's two-goal cushion was soon halved when a weak header from Nick Matthews was pounced on by Marsden to set up an anxious last few minutes.

Lynn: Wilson, Jones, Setchell, Matthews (Chick 83), Hammond, Camm, Defty (Angel 83), Holmes, Staff, Bloomfield, Bacon. Subs not used: Higgs, Fishlock and Harris.
Booking: Setchell (foul play).
Rugby: Hazell, Evans, Williams, Moran, Herbert (Squire 32), Commander, King, Dutton, Beard, Marsden, Haggerty. Not used: Wesley, Shepherd, Charley, Pearson.
Booking: Haggerty (foul play).
Attendance: 676; Referee: A. Tyne (Watton);
FACT fileShots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn News Man of the Match - Jack Defty
Report by permission of the Lynn News