• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Wellington 2 King's Lynn 2
23rd December 1961

A scrambled goal three minutes from time gave Lynn a badly needed point from their match at Wellington on Saturday. There was no doubt that they deserved to draw although they were handicapped by an injury to Sharp, who was absent for a 20-minute spell in the second half, they played just as well as Wellington.
In fact, the visitors had the edge in the first half and if there had been a little more bite in the play of the inside forwards Wright and Lumley, they must have crossed over with a clear interval lead.
Dixon, a lively centre-forward, would have done a lot better if he had received something like an efficient service from these two.
Although Manning was at fault for the home side's first goal, the Lynn defence was in dour mood and Hindle was very capable. The tall centre-half never made a mistake and he was given sound support by skipper Mackey, whose ball distribution from right back was an object lesson to his wing halves who rarely used the ball effectively.
It was quick thinking by Dixon which enabled King's Lynn to go ahead after 14 minutes. Wright sent a low drive goalwards and when Richards could only push the ball out, the centre-forward seized on the rebound to find the net as he liked.
Bacon nearly increased the lead when he lobbed narrowly over with Richards out of goal, but on the stroke of half-time Wellington equalised. Manning unaccountably stayed on his line when a right-wing corner kick came across and Laverty was able to head through from point-blank range.
The Shropshire side pressed heavily at the opening of the second half and it was no surprise when Russell slipped the ball just inside a post, following another corner kick from the right in the 55th minute.
Making the fatal error of assuming that this would prove to be the winning goal, Wellington allowed King's Lynn to regain the initiative an with only three minutes to go Bacon shot through a ruck of players during a furious scramble in the goalmouth for the equaliser. Wellington: Richards; Hoof, Rodgers; Timmins, Dunn, Cocker; Anderson, Russell, Newsham, Laverty, Crossland.
King's Lynn: Manning, Mackey, Wilson, Dunn, Hindle, Sanchez, Bacon, Wright, Dixon, Lumley, Sharp.
Report by permission of the Lynn News