• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 Halesowen Town 2
24th February 2001
MORE points dropped against a relegation haunted team as Linnets ought to have beaten bottom side Halesowen.
It was the old story of sloppy goals given away as Lynn were held at home for the second game in a row.
It arguably turned when, at 2-1 to Lynn, they had a convincing penalty turned down.
After doing themselves no favours by dropping points to Merthyr, Clevedon and now the Yeltz, Linnets endure a tough period with no home games for three weeks.
"I thought we could have won it," said manager Tony Spearing. "We let in two bad goals. The first one was just a through ball which beat us. They're a lot better than what their league position says.
"We had a blatant penalty turned down to make it 3-1. The referee had a nightmare and I told him so."
Because of injuries, Spearing gave Steve Lenagh in a new role as centre-half. He looked uncomfortable at first and was part of a defence which was collectively responsible for the first goal.
However, the on-loan midfielder settled into the heart of defence the more the game went on.
"He's played centre-half for Kettering, so I knew he could play there. It was always a gamble on my part," added Spearing.
It initially looked as though the gamble did not pay off as the statuesque Lynn defence was caught square by a Jon Ford long ball, leaving Peter Sutton to skip past the four players, round Chuck Martini and tap in an empty net.
This stung Linnets into action with a good spell.
Lyndon Rowland earned a free-kick out on the left; which Dave Puttnam took. The ball was half-cleared for Glen Fuff to volley into the roof of the net from around the penalty spot.
There was little more action until four minutes into the second half.
The impressive Wayne Anderson set up Puttnam, who provided an exquisite through ball to Bush.
The youngster steadied himself before slotting the ball under the keeper's legs for his second goal in two games.
Puttnam rifled a shot inches wide from the edge-of the box, while keeper Andrew Quy blocked a Rowland effort from a corner.
Then midway through the second period Fuff seemed to be fouled in the box, but referee Mr Capps waved play on.
Halesowen replied with sub Wayne Lloyd bringing a good low save from Martini; but not long after Adie Hayes was caught in possession and Anderson was penalised despite gaining the ball.
Leslie Hines added to Lynn's woes when he planted the free-kick expertly into the top corner.
Frustrated Lynn saw two volleys go close: Puttnam's was superbly tipped round the post and Anderson just missed his from a swerving Simon Dakin centre.
In injury time, Rowland was a yard away from taking the ball from Quy in a chase, but the keeper calmly blocked with his legs.
Lynn: Martini, Dakin, Clark, Lenagh, Fuff, March, Anderson, Hayes, Bush (Palmer 65), Rowland, Puttnam. Subs not used: McNeil, Suiter.
Halesowen: A. Quy, R. Crisp, J. Ford, A. Comyn, R. Collins (M. Creighton 73), R. Skidmore, M. Mason (W. Lloyd 62), F Sutton, S. Bowen, N.. Smith (J. Owen 60), L: Hines.
Att: 588. 
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn46389 Rowland (90 dissent)
Halesowen 412612 Lloyd (90, foul)
Lynn News Man of the Match - Wayne Anderson
Report by permission of the Lynn News