• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 Norwich City 0
24th February 1974
Keith Rudd knocked in his 100th senior goal for the Linnets when he headed them into a 73rd minute lead in Sunday's Norfolk Premier Cup semi-final.
It was laid on for him by Dominic McCallum who feinted past Lennis Doy to make space for an accurate centre which Rudd flicked in from six yards.
Then 25 seconds into the second half Rudd made his total 101 with one of the easiest goals he has ever got.
A high centre from Malcolm Lindsay was nudged on by Rudd to David Clarke who pounced on the chance for a quick shot. Roger Hansbury dived low to save, but could not smother the ball and all Rudd had to do was tap it home.
This made sure of a final place for the Linnets although Norwich came back strongly in the last ten minutes.
Substitute Ian Davies was just beaten to the ball by Garry Steel in a desperate chase. Steve Goodwin had a low shot which was creeping into the corner of the goal before Steel punched it away, then Goodwin again had a header bounce of the bar.
This late spell was the best of the match fir a Norwich side containing as varied a mixture of their club talents. Tall defender Andy Rolling and forward Billy Kellock have both had first team experience and many of the side re in the Canaries' successful Combination outfit.
But Norwich for all their good close football were not decisive enough in their attacking moves in the first 80 minutes to worry Lynn.
Their only other chance came when Rollings moved up for Goodwin's corner and rose high above the Linnets defence to get in a header which John Kerr cleared off the line. the Linnets, through Rudd, snapped up their chances well and it needed good saves from Hansbury to keep out shots from Lindsay and Wright.
Lynn: Steel, Richardson, Kerr, Brooks, Smith, Wright, McCallum, Lindsay, Rudd, Wignall (sub Elliott 81 mins), Clarke.
Norwich: Hansbury, Watts, Kent, Wilson, Rollings, Evans, Sutton, Kellock, Doy (sub Davies 60 mins), Hart, Goodwin.
Referee: J Thompson. Attendance: 470.
Report by permission of the Lynn News