• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 Welling United 0
24th March 2001
JUST when people were doubting the ability of Adie Hayes the midfielder pops up with his best performance in a Linnets shirt.
Hayes had a hand in both of Lynn's second-half strikes as Tony Spearing's troops overcame a quagmire of a pitch and a string of baffling decisions from the three officials.
The Walks faithful were frequently incensed by referee Mr Marin and his two assistants, but their anger gradually subsided as Lynn extended their, unbeaten sequence to nine matches to move up to ninth in the table.
"The referee didn't get off to the best possible start by only deciding to call the game on at 2.20, and on the day perhaps the officials could have done better," said a diplomatic Spearing, who preferred to concentrate his thoughts on the performance of his side.
"For the first 20 minutes we played the ball in front of their defenders and it was bread and butter for their two centre backs.
"But after the break we played some quality balls over the top and caused them lots of problems:"
Lynn could even afford the luxury of a Jon Palmer penalty miss in the eighth minute; and in the context of the early stages, it looked as though the miss might have proved costly.
Helped by the officials, Welling had the better of the opening passages of play, although to be fair to the visitors, their slick early football would have caused most sides a headache or two.
As the half wore on Lynn finally began to stamp some authority on the match, and two minutes before the interval visiting keeper Glen Knight punched a pinpoint Tommy Wright centre off the head of Kristian Jones.

Lynn continued to look dangerous and the opening goal eventually came 20 minutes into an absorbing second period.
A long ball from Glen Fuff was turned into the path of Simon Bush by Hayes, before the striker's shot took a deflection over Knight and into the net.
Two minutes from the end, Hayes and first-half substitute Kristian Jones combined to feed Wayne Anderson, who sprinted into the box before cleverly lifting the ball over the advancing Knight.
Anderson had another solid game in the middle of the park, as did the ever-reliable Fuff at the back, but for once Lynn supporters saw the best from a number of their side.
Lynn: Martini, Dakin, Clark, Palmer, Fuff, Spearing, Anderson, Haves, Bush (Gibson 90), Rowland (Jones 35), Wright (McNeil 74).
Welling: G. Knight, R Lorraine, J. Budden (S. Harlands 72), M. Hone, M. Bower, T. Eeles, A. Riviere, A. Webster (S. Saunders 83), C. Side, Z. Rowe (A. Day 72), S. Glover.
Att: 517
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn462216 Hayes (21, foul)
Spearing (50, dissent)
Dakin (62, dissent)
Welling 21254

Lynn News Man of the Match - Adie Hayes
Report by permission of the Lynn News