• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Histon 1 Lynn 4
24th April
King's Lynn 1 Erith & Belvedere 0 TOP scorer David Staff bagged a vital 23rd goal of the season to get the Linnets within touching distance of the title.
They need another point next weekend at Fisher to be assured of the championship.
Following more early chances, Lynn could not quite get the second goal and, like many lately, the game was a tense affair.
Joint boss Darren Bloodworth said: "That's the best I've seen the dressing-room in the last two months with the camaraderie and the look in their eyes.
"We had quite a few chances. Staffy's had a really good one just after half-time and it would have been game over.
"The defence was superb, they've put us where we are, four games without conceding a goal."
Joint manager Kevin Boon said: "The first 15 minutes was great, we got the goal, then everyone clammed up and sat back, adding on Staff's winning goal: "Staffy's been like that all season:
On the substitutions, he added: "Craig Fishlock wasn't match-fit, Staffy had cramp in both legs and Dale Watkins just got taken off."
As Lynn started just as brightly as the glorious sunshine, Dale Watkins was put through by Carl Holmes but shot well wide on nine minutes. However, a minute later Staff capitalised on defensive hesitation by Deres captain John Farley to race clear and confidently slot the ball into the opposite corner past keeper Jani Seitsonen.
Immediately Erith had a chance, the dangerous Akpo Sodje heading over a free-kick, while on the half-hour Farley's header hit the outside of the woodwork.
Great interplay by Staff, Mark Camm and Watkins ended with Staff shooting but the ball bobbled wide on the hard, bumpy surface.
Farley blocked Watkins' effort following more excellent wing wizardry from Staff just before half-time.
Three minutes after the break Staff cut inside and shot too close to Seitsonen, who saved with his legs. Midway through the half Holmes looped another golden opportunity wide from eight yards.
Apart from a dipping Lee Stevenson effort, that was the
closest Lynn got, and they had to endure a tense final minute when defending a corner to seal the win.
The relief poured over The Walks as fans raced on the pitch to embrace their heroes. The proper party could start at 4.45pm on Saturday.
Lynn: Wilson, Jones, C. Defty, Hammond, Fuff, Stevenson, Fishlock (Woodrow 83), Holmes, Staff (Harris 83), Watkins (Bacon 73), Camm. Subs not used: Hyde, Nobes. Booking: Bacon. Goal: Staff 10.
Erith: Seitsonen, Tozer, Taylor, Vercesi, Farley (Morrish 73), Briggs, Aboyage, Paine (Abbot 62), Adams (Ricketts 77), Sodje, Lorraine. Not used: Beard.
Referee: A. Artis (Norwich). Att: 1,235.
FACT fileShots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn465414 Bacon
Erith233618 Report by permission of the Lynn News