• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 3 Erith & Belvedere 0
24th August 2002
THERE was a huge sense of relief around The Walks after the Linnets finally grabbed their first three points of the season against a poor Erith side.
The Linnets never looked in any kind of trouble against their Kent visitors, but made hard work of it after dominating the first period.
Manager Peter Morris said: "I actually thought we played better when we lost against Rothwell on Tuesday, but mistakes cost us that match.
"We were sloppy at times and that can sometimes be the case when you have so much of the ball. It was only sloppiness that would have allowed them back into the game; and that is what you fear."
Morris added: "Erith did not give us a real contest. We had enough chances to bury them and go home at half-time.
"They were not a good side by any stretch of the imagination, but you've still got to beat them."
For the first time in many matches, The Walks faithful saw three Lynn strikers share out the goals - a rare occurrence over the last few seasons.
It was the sharp-looking Lee Stephenson who handed Lynn the lead in the ninth minute with his second goal in as many games when he tucked away a quickly-taken free-kick from Paul Raynor.
Stephenson could have easily had a hat-trick in the first ten minutes. 
In the opening exchanges he turned a David Staff pass wide when he should have done better and three minutes later his shot was superbly tipped over by Erith keeper John Olclum.
Lynn continued to dominate with Wayne Anderson's shot deflected wide and Staff's effort also missing the target.
Five minutes before the interval, Erith's Chris Whitehouse saw red for stupidly kicking out at Raynor, who was lucky to stay on the field himself for arguing with referee Mr Hambling after being booked himself.
The second goal finally arrived three minutes before the break when Steve Johnson brilliantly finished a long ball from Glen Fuff.
As far as the entertainment went, that was it as the game petered out into a no-contest after the break.
It was always Lynn who looked the more likely to score. Stephenson made something out of nothing in the 57th minute, but hit his final effort straight into the keeper's arms, while Stanhope, who had another quiet game, showed one moment of brilliance when his chip struck the woodwork:
A third goal came seven minutes from time when substitute Chris Bacon ran on to a ball from just inside the Erith half, before coolly sliding the ball under the body of Olclum.
Then in the dying seconds Lynn sub Mario Davids hit the woodwork.
Lynn: Corry, Jones,! Staff, Raynor, Fuff, Gowshall, Stanhope, Weston (Davids 84), Johnson (Bacon 70), Stephenson (Watts 83), Anderson. Subs not used: Dobrowolski, Holmes.
Erith: J. Olclum, T. Bealey, D. Morris, D. Gowler, M. Driscoll, J. Dary, S. Bennetts (C. Arnold 76), C. Whitehouse, D. Adams (S. Abbott 45), D. Barclay (M. Neufville 77), G. Billenness. Not used: P. Roberts.
Referee: Mr G.S Hambling (Blofield Heath). Att: 536.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn996218 Raynor (foul play, 40),  
Joby Gowshall (late tackle, 82),
Paul Watts (elbowing 86)
Erith124416 Whitehouse (serious foul play, 40)
Report by permission of the Lynn News