• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 4 Corby Town 1
24th September 2002
FOUR, men were on target - including Lee Stephenson keeping up his record of scoring in every home match this season - as the Linnets showed the best possible response to the weekend's defeat on Tuesday.
The match was all but over at the break, when Lynn had put three past a poor Corby defence which broke under pressure.
"They gave us a hell of a game in the first 20 minutes," said manager Peter Morris. "We could have had eight, but got four.
"We broke them down, and were always going to win as long as we didn't lose concentration.
"Their goal to me was a gift, we seem to stop working when we're in front."
Lynn made two changes from the side that lost at Newport, Adam Jones and Adam Weston coming in for Nicky Blake and Joby Gowshall.
Corby in fact had the better of the first 20 minutes and Jimmy Foreman had the ball in the net, but the `goal' was disallowed for offside.
Mike McConnell had the Steelmen's best chance of the opening half, but he fired past the post.
Stephenson had one cleared off the line following a corner, but Corby again threatened when Jones underhit a back-pass, but keeper Dean Greygoose was quick off his line to clear the danger.
Three minutes later on the half hour mark, a nice move between two midfielders put the Linnets ahead: Adam Weston chested down for Carl Holmes to rifle home left-footed from 15 yards.
It took just four minutes for The Walks outfit to double their lead. On the right Paul Raynor fed Stephenson, who seemed to have nowhere to go. But Stephenson turned his marker and beat the keeper at the near post from an acute angle to make it seven goals in six home games.
It was 3-0 on the stroke of halftime thanks to the determination of Wayne Anderson, who was first to a clearance, played a one-two with Stephenson and passed to Raynor.
He centred to Stephenson, whose effort was blocked and Paul Watts poked home his first goal for 14, matches.
Anderson, who wears his Lynn shirt with pride, clenched his fists to the crowd.
"Paul needed the goal for his confidence, I hope it's the first of many. He's been working hard, smiling and enjoying the last four games," Morris said.
Lynn sealed the game nine minutes into the second half as a cheeky Raynor back-heel found Dave Staff, who earned a throw.
The same duo and Weston combined for Staff to cross from the left, and Anderson rose above the throng at the far post to head home a deserved goal.
"Wayne is getting a better player," added Morris. "It was a brave header, and he did a good job down the right hand side."
Former Linnets Jamie Hawthorn and Wayne Spencer were booked, Spencer also involved in an off-the ball incident which saw Raynor pole-axed during a niggly late second half period.
Both sides traded chances before Corby got a consolation on 84 minutes, the Lynn defence going to sleep and allowing Gary Kennedy too much space on the left. His cross eluded Glen Fuff and Foreman looped the ball into the net.
In injury time Lynn sub Chris Bacon hit the bar with a header.
Lynn: Greygoose, Anderson, Staff, Jones, Fuff, Cowling, Weston, Raynor (Ortega 78), Watts (Bacon 78), Stephenson, Holmes. Subs not used: Johnson, Gowshall, Nobes.
Corby: R. Lavin, G. Kennedy, Scott Marshall, Stewart Marshall, J. Hawthorn, R. Maddox, M. McConnell, W. Spencer, K. Byrne, J. Foreman, L. Valiance (S. Brennan 44). Not used: A. Sroi.
Att: 469.  Referee: R. Bird (Thorpe St Andrew). \n
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Corby137218 Hawthorn (22, foul)
Spencer (57, foul)
Lynn News Man of the Match: Wayne Anderson
Report by permission of the Lynn News