• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Bedford Town 3 King's Lynn 2
24th September 2005
Ten-man Lynn snatched defeat from the jaws of victory on Saturday.
The Linnets were two up within 19 minutes and in control for much of the game before an injury to Mark Camm, a red card for Frenchman Cedric Anselin for dissent and a hat-trick from Eagles dangerman Chris Dillon condemned Lynn to a loss.
Following last season's League Cup final here, it was Lynn's turn this time to lose a 2-0 lead.
Boss Tommy Taylor said: "We started really well but in the second half we didn't play high upfield enough, in the first half that was the way to play a long way from our goal."
Anselin had turned from hero to villain as he got the first goal.
Taylor claims that Anselin's abuse was not directed at the official: "The red card was for Cedric saying something to Smithy. One of their players said to the assistant that Cedric had said it to him.
"You don't try and get people sent off.
"We missed Cammy as he's got the pace to get there, and he's more of a defender than an attacker.
"All their goals, like all this season, have come from defensive errors."
Bedford boss Nick Platenaur had to reshuffle their pack with three first team players having left during the week due to budget cuts, while The Walks outfit were unchanged as Martin McNeil recovered from his ankle injury.
The Linnets were quick out of the blocks, passing well. A defensive error by Matt Childs after two-and-a-half minutes saw Danny Bloomfield's centre reach Jack Defty, who set up Anselin to sidefoot a precise shot past home goalkeeper Ian Brown into the net.
The Eagles threatened little, with the mouthguard-wearing Grant Cooper safeguarding defensive operations for Lynn.
Lynn deserved to double their advantage when Defty dispossessed Rob Miller and passed to Bloomfield, who beat the offside trap before sliding the ball under the keeper.
Bedford made it 2-1 at half-time with a goal out of the blue. McNeil lost the ball upfield and a quick through-ball found Dillon to fire into the top of the net.
After lengthy treatment for a groin injury, Camm was subbed by Paul Kelly on 43 minutes.
Just before the break Bloomfield played a one-two with Defty, was denied by the keeper and his turn and shot went just wide.
In the second half, Bloomfield nearly got a shot in and Anselin's long-range effort was saved at the second attempt, but on 70 minutes the hosts equalised.
Lynn looked in no danger as Dillon cut inside from the left but he was not closed down by the centre-backs and was allowed to unleash a blistering shot that John Higgs could only watch fly into the opposite corner.
New signing James Bunn came on for the final 15 minutes, but his rounded midriff suggested a man well short of match fitness.
Then Anselin lost his cool 11 minutes from the end when losing out on a close throw-in decision.
The assistant referee obviously had a close knowledge of Anglo-French slang as, after informing the referee, the latter issued a red card.
Lynn's collapse was complete in the 87th minute through indecision by Cooper on a long ball that left Dillon to seal his treble through the keeper's legs.
In the final minute Bloomfield had a chance to level, his low header trickling past the post.
Bedford: Brown, Childs, Lawley, Miller, Howarth, Blake, Hatch (Woolf 66), Stupple, Dillon, Howe, Rydeheard. Subs not used: McElroy, Carr, Grieve, Rigby.
Booked: Howarth 46 minutes.
Goals: Dillon 37, 70, 86.
Lynn: Higgs, Jones, Smith, McMahon (O'Halloran 76), Cooper, McNeil, Defty (Bunn 76), West, Anselin, Bloomfield, Camm (Kelly 44). Not used: Hammond, Harris.
Booked: Bloomfield 68.
Sent off: Anselin 79.
Goals: Anselin 3, Bloomfield 19.
Referee: S. Fay. Att: 439.
FACTfileShots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Bedford 342112
Report by permission of the Lynn News