• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 3 Eastbourne Borough 1
24th November 2007
THE Linnets rekindled memories of their FA Cup run from last season as they dumped Conference South leaders Eastbourne out of the FA Trophy in convincing fashion.
Lynn became only the second team to beat the South Coast side in all competitions this campaign after a dominant second half display at The Walks.
Linnets boss Keith Webb, who had to watch his side come from behind before clinching their place in the first round proper, said: "I couldn't ask for any more from the players and that was probably the best we've played at home since I became manager.
"We played with spirit and a little bit of passion and fight and I'm hoping the result will kick-start our season at home."
Andrew Fisk, who hauled the Linnets back into the tie just before the interval, controlled the midfield, while Jack Defty gave the Eastbourne defence a torrid afternoon with his aerial presence as Lynn tore their high-flying visitors apart in the second half.
On Defty, who has rediscovered his form in the last fortnight, Webb said: "Jack was a different class and he really is in a rich vein of form at the minute.
"There's no question of his ability and he plays a key part in this team playing well. It's just a question of Jack continuing to work hard like he has been."
The Linnets, who were forced into a late change when Ben Chapman had to be replaced by Greg Lake after suffering an injury in the warm-up, made a bright start with early efforts from both Michael Frew and Defty.

But another healthy Walks crowd feared the worst when Scott Ramsay fired Eastbourne in front in the 21st minute.
Ramsay took advantage of a terrible blunder by Mark Warren, who turned the ball back across his own goal in a hopeless attempt to find keeper Scott Howie.
The same player almost made it 2-0 minutes later but Andrew Fisk cleared his effort off the line.
Lynn then had to rely on Howie to keep them in the contest as the shot stopper pulled off fine stops to foil both Allan Tait and Jay Lovett.
Four minutes before the break, Warren made amends when his long ball led to an unlikely equaliser.
His pass caused confusion in the Eastbourne box as Defty challenged Borough goalkeeper Lee Hook and the ball broke loose for Fisk to surge in the box and score.
The equaliser instilled new life into Lynn, who at last played with some passion and purpose in front of their home faithful after several weeks of trying.
Lynn poured forward after the interval and the only surprise was that their second goal didn't arrive until the 71st minute.
It came courtesy of a long centre from Dean West, which was met by the head of substitute Jon Turner, whose looping header left Hook with no chance.
Lynn continually threatened to get a third and it arrived in injury time when Warren hammered home a penalty to Hook's right after Ben Austin had been penalised for handling in the area.
Lynn: Howie, West, Lake, Warren, Crane, Camm, Frew, Fisk, J. Defty, Bloomfield (Turner 69), Francis. Unused subs: Nolan, Harvey, Murray. Booked: Francis, Crane.
Eastbourne: Hook, Baker, Jenkins, Budd (Atkin 62), Austin, Lovett, Harding, Armstrong, Ramsay, Tait (N. Crabb 80), M. Crabb (Wilde 80). Unused subs: Lightwood and Ballard.
Stats: Lynn first, shots on target 7, 8; off target 7, 3; corners 7, 3; offside 0, 2; Free-kicks conceded 14, 11.
Referee: Mr A. Maton (Oadby, Leicestershire). Attendance: 951. MoM: Jack Defty.
Report by permission of the Lynn News