• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Hereford United 1 King's Lynn 0
24th November 1971
Lynn went down bravely at Hereford on Wednesday in their FA Cup first round replay - putting up the stern fight team manager Mick Wright had promised.
A first half goal gave Hereford the grasp they needed, but right to the end Lynn were in with a chance of taking the tie to extra time.
Five minutes from time a long ball down the middle caught the home defence unprepared as Malcolm Lindsay ran through unchallenged. But the ball bounced awkwardly and hit him on the back of the leg and the chance of an equaliser trickled tantalisingly out of reach.
It was the chance that team manager Mick Wright had gambled on when he committed Lynn on a defensive policy from the kick-off.
Wright explained: "We based our chances of victory on breakaway raids and though we did not win I reckon we made Hereford sweat a lot. I was very pleased with our player's performance and I think the result speaks for itself."
He added: "I though we got stronger and stronger as the game progressed and came very close near the end to grabbing an equaliser."
Wright gave an outstanding display bolstering the Lynn defence but in a game which was not over-burdened by fouls he was unfortunately spoken to for a clash with Hereford player-manager Colin Addison early in the second half.
Vince Radcliffe also gave a fine display in outwitting Hereford's tricky schemer Dudley Tyler, while Peter Robinson, Trevor Painter and John Kerr worked overtime to constantly push back the surge of Hereford attacks.

Territorially Hereford dominated play from start to finish and in the first minute Alan Jones headed against the crossbar from a Tyler corner. In the 13th minute Tony Gough netted direct from a corner, but the goal was disallowed for a pushing offence by another players.
Hereford kept pushing forward and in the 27th minute Trevor Painter headed clear a cross from Ron Radford and the ball fell to Gough who crashed it home from the edge of the area. Ad that goal was to win the match.
Lynn's first direct shot at goal came from Keith Rudd in the 37th minute when he hit over the top. Hereford stormed back and Radford hit the woodwork and then Billy Meadows had a goal disallowed. He headed home from a Roger Griffiths free-kick on the far post but another player was adjudged to have been offside.
Although Hereford were still on top in the second half Rudd went close to equalising when he met a Rickett's cross and headed for the corner of the net but goalkeeper Fred Potter went full-length to save a certain goal.
Lynn's back four gave nothing away and Hereford were frequently forced to go backwards in an attempt to create openings. They forced numerous corners but could not break down Lynn's solid rearguard.
Hereford now have a plum home tie against Northampton in the second round. This is a tie Lynn would obviously have cherished but nevertheless they have shown in their cup spirit and skill that they could make progress in the FA Trophy and still challenge in the league.
Hereford: Potter, Griffiths, Mallender, Jones, McLaughlin, Addison, Gough, Tyler, Meadows, Owen, Radford. (Sub: George).
Lynn: Steel, Radcliffe, Kerr, Painter, Robinson, Wright, Ricketts, Bloxham, Clarke, Rudd, Lindsay. (Sub: Stewart).
Attendance 7,758
Report by permission of the Lynn News