• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Burnham 0 King's Lynn 3
25th January 2003
AN injury to keeper Dean Greygoose, who was taken to hospital after the match, marred a second half in which Lynn notched three goals and Burnham were reduced to ten men.
Burnham is just a couple of miles away from Slough home of smash TV comedy The Office and inept office manager David Brent.
And the home side displayed bad management on the Brent scale, with liberal use of the F-word from the dug-out or rather not from the dug-out, as their management exited the pitch when screaming abuse at their team.
Lynn duly did the double over Burnham, whose coach broke down on the way back from a 5-1 thrashing at The Walks earlier in the season.
The Linnets had the first chance in the 11th minute, Blues keeper Danny Honey, who had a fine game, pushing Lee Stephenson's effort into the side netting.
Jack Defty was fouled and from the free-kick he was twice denied, while a home defender nearly nodded Defty's cross into his own net.
Burnham had pace up front, and their first opportunity came on the break in the 36th minute but Arron Lennon fired straight at Greygoose.
The Linnets had another couple of chances before the break, as David Staff fed Chris Bacon, whose shot was too weak, while Bacon flicked-on a corner, but no-one was there for the second ball.

However, Lynn took the lead four minutes into the second half when defender Mark Burrows headed a Paul Raynor corner firmly into the net.
As Burnham lost their discipline, Staff fired a free-kick just wide.
The hosts' best chance of the game came on 54 minutes as Michael Bartley pushed the ball past Greygoose, but it rolled inches wide of the opposite corner.
But Lynn regained control of the match and it was no surprise when they scored after 72 minutes.
Great play from Bacon, who switched to Staff, whose cross resulted in a bout of head tennis, Stephenson gaining the final touch for his 19th goal of the season.
A minute later Burnham captain Paul Brett earned a red card with a lunge on Bacon.
The resulting free-kick from Raynor produced a brilliant save by Honey, who had also somehow kept out a Defty thunderbolt.
With a quarter of an hour remaining, Grey-goose got a kick while on the floor. He soon fumbled a cross, and was clearly in distress.
He was replaced by Dean Mayes, who was soon in action, clutching a shot from home sub Alex Toley.
The Linnets went close before sealing the game in injury time, Paul Watts finishing another Staff centre at close range not long after coming off the bench.
Lynn: Greygoose (Mayes 83), Harvey, Cowling, Burrows, Fuff, Defty, Weston, Raynor, Bacon (Watts 88), Stephenson (Ortega 90), Staff. Unused sub (Blois).
Burnham: Honey, M Vrhovski, Brett, Bracken, Mitchell, Lockhart, Bryson, Ferdinand, Lennon (Brown 77), Bartley, Davies (Toley 77). Unused subs J Brown, S Brown, Nutter.
Referee: M Ives     Att: 137
Bookings: Lynn - Fuff (60, foul). Burnham: Lockhart (48 kicking ball away), Ferdinand (53 foul). 
Sent off:
Brett (73 foul).   Lynn News Men of the Match - Jack Defty/Chris Bacon.

Report by permission of the Lynn News