• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Wellingborough 0 King's Lynn 1
25th February 1980
WITH FOG covering the ground from early evening, it was surprising that Tuesday's Southern League fixture was even started.
It was possible to stand on the half-way line and sec both goals (just), but from one touchline it was impossible to see to the other side.
But referee D. Wragg made an inspection and gave the go-ahead - a decision which Lynn, in the end, were happy with.
Main problem for both sets of defences was in picking up the 30 and 40-yard through passes, while those familiar soccer phrases "Look for it" and "Show up you forwards" had to be taken literally.
While it was difficult for the players and officials, the few spectators were limited in their vision of the game. Only by following the direction players were taking was it possible to keep in contact with the game, except when play was in the immediate vicinity.
For the benefit of the Press, manager Keith Rudd later said that Lynn played better than they had in the 4-1 win at Banbury on Saturday.
"Our front two Duncan Wiles and Paul Chapman were far more positive and they each could have had two or three goals. Perhaps in recent weeks they have not been fully match fit because of our call-offs and now they are looking stronger.
"We did not give Wellingborough too many openings although in the second half we tended to give the ball away too easily. Jimmy Wilson had another good game in defence and Richard Johnston quickly settled in. "Wellingborough are no mean side despite their league position, but we competed strongly against them for long periods.
Lynn made a promising start with most of the play being in the Wellingborough half and at least two centres appeared to cause problems around the six-yard box.
Wellingborough's first reply did not come until the 23rd minute when Burdett was fouled by Adams as he tried to reach the by-line. The free-kick was swept in low and a Lynn boot got to it first to make an important clearance.
The fog lifted slightly for a few minutes, then again shrouded the ground. A pity it did not last longer, for in the 37th minute Lynn scored what was to be their match winning goal.
Chapman was fouled as he broke on the left side and the free-kick was taken by Roy McManus. Mick Wright had been pushed forward and he got the flick on, but there were several attempts by indiscernible Linnets players to force the ball in before it was swept into the net.
Rudd explained: "We had several bites at it before Paul Chapman stuck it away."
Chapman could have added a second goal just after this, picking up a poor clearance from the Wellingborough goalkeeper and blasting in a shot which was parried away.
The hair ended with Wellingborough pressing hard and two shots going in - one wide of the post and the other being saved by Ringwood.
The Lynn keeper was soon in action in the second half when Wellingborough showed more enterprise in their play. A free-kick from Burdett drifted narrowly wide of the post and then Ringwood did well to block a couple of fiercely driven shots.
But towards the end it was Lynn who were looking dangerous near goal. Wiles dispossessed Spillane and went wide of keeper Brinklow only to hit his eventual shot into the side netting.
There were loud appeals by the Linnets for a penalty when Wiles was apparently brought down on the six-yard line, but the referee gave Wellingborough the benefit of the doubt.
Rider joined in the attack with a clever chip shot hit wide of the post and Chapman continued to link up well with McManus in some promising right wing moves.
Wellingborough: Brinklow, Robertson, Worthington, McGowan (sub Petts 55), Spillane, Kiernan, Day, Knight, Sharp, Atkinson, Burdett.
Lynn: Ringwood; Rider, Johnston, Adams, Wilson; Rudd, Watts, Wright, McManus; Wiles, Chapman; sub. Ward.
Report by permission of the Lynn News