• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Our sponsors
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Stourbridge 1
26th August 1979
Lynn never really got to grips with the challenge of Stourbridge on Saturday.
And as both sides can look back and think how they could have won it, a draw must be considered fair enough on this opening day for the newly formed Southern League (Midlands Division).
Just occasionally came some flowing moves from Lynn, but no real sustained pressure. When they did threaten in three attacks the 19 year old Stourbridge keeper, newcomer Martin Cole made super saves.
The first of these came early on when Keith Rudd made space for himself on the 18-yard line and was picked out by Clive Adams. Rudd turned on the pass and his shot went hard and low towards the near post where Cole got down to turn away for a corner.
Stourbridge a dour and competitive side like many of the Midlands outfits, replied with a gem of a goal in the 26th minute. A throw in from Minton was flicked on by Bass to Andrew Deeley, who had not been picked up tightly.
Deeley had his back to goal when he received the pass, but turned with remarkable skill to hook a fierce, angled shot which flew into the net. Phil Ringwood really had no chance.
Lynn won a succession of corners and tried to vary the tactics hitting some long and some to the near post, but all were dealt with by the competent visiting defence. In the 44th minute when Duncan Wiles was brought down just outside the penalty area there was a chance to try out a set-piece move. This resulted in Roy McManus getting in the final shot which was again saved by Cole as it headed for the corner of the net.
After Stourbridge had repulsed Lynn's early attacks in the second half they had a great chance to get further ahead. Mcauley and Hughes made the opening from a corner and when the ball went across the six-yard line it seemed that all Bass had to do was get a touch and he would score, but Lynn were reprieved when he failed to get contact.
It was a costly miss for shortly afterwards in the 59th minute, Lynn drew level through a penalty. The referee had no hesitation in making his decision when Adams was pushed in the back some 12 yards out but not directly threatening the goal.
Duncan Wiles, no the recognised penalty man, had too much pace for Cole and the shot beat the keeper's dive.
Ten minutes later came Lynn's best move of the match, started by Adams who ran forcefully from the half way line up to the penalty area before he was stopped. The ball broke to McManus on the wing and he hit a hard centre into the middle.
Rudd had moved in to the perfect position and lined up is header which he must have thought would hit the net. At the last gasp Cole flung himself across goal and got his fingertips to the ball.
Stourbridge showed they were content with a point by packing the midfield while Lynn's pace slowed towards the end and the only break came with a lofted shot from Adams which landed n the top of the net with the keeper for once clearly beaten. Lynn: Ringwood; Wilson, Wright, Johnston, Rider; Watts Adams, M Wiles, McManus, Rudd, D Wiles, sub Britton
Stourbridge: Cole; Minton, Rumjan, Bache, Lander, Mcauley, Dalley, Bass (sub Hatton) 74), Hughes, Deeley, Setmour.
Referee: J Masters (Oakington). Attendance: 350
Report by permission of the Lynn News