• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Kidderminster Harriers 5
25th October 2008

The Linnets suffered a cup humiliation of the highest order against a clinical Kidderminster side at The Walks.
Keith Webb's side self-destructed in spectacular style against Blue Square Premier Harriers, who cruelly exposed Lynn's defensive frailties with ease.
People will argue that the final outcome could have been different had Lynn taken one of their early chances, but the stark reality of a forgettable 90 minutes was that Lynn weren't good enough at either end of the pitch.
A depleted Linnets' defence, which is showing more holes than a mole's golf course at present, conceded poor goals all afternoon, while Lynn's failure to play more than one striker up front is limiting their attacking options.
Lynn's cup dream wasn't helped by injuries to Simon Weaver, Mark Peters and Scott Mitchell, all of who were o the treatment table.
Mitchell failed a late fitness test on a groin injury and Andrew Fisk was drafted in as his replacement in Lynn's only change from the starting line-up from the side that started against Tamworth in midweek.
The Linnets, backed by their biggest crowd of the season, were quick out of the blocks and Kidderminster were forced to weather an early onslaught from the hosts.
Jack Defty flicked the ball on to Michael Frew, whose header was scrambled off the line for a corner by Keith Lowe.
From the resulting corner, Defty saw his volley superbly saved by Adam Bartlett at point-blank range.

Defty soon left the field with an injury to his lower back and you sensed that Lynn's hopes of a cup upset went with him.
Harriers took control of the game and went ahead after 26 minutes when Matt Barnes-Homer curled home his seventh goal of the season.
Barnes-Homer then turned provider to set up Russ Penn for the second three minutes later after Chapman had slipped at a crucial moment.
Before the break Martin Brittain punished a sloppy Lynn defence to put harriers three up.
In the closing moments of the half John Turner's effort was hooked off the line by Lee Baker, while at the other end Richard side-footed wide when it would have been easier to hit the target.
Harriers went further ahead early in the second half after Scott Howie dropped the ball at the feet of in-form Brian Smikle to stab home number four.
Bartlett, who by no means had a quiet afternoon between the Kidderminster posts, denied Frew seven minutes into the second half.
Two minutes later Jones was shown a straight red card from grabbing hold of Frew around the neck.
But soon afterwards Harriers top-scorer Justin Richards added the fifth as Lynn's defence stood still looking for the offside flag.
Joe Francis pulled one back in the 67th minute when he headed home Charlie Defty's long ball, but it was scant consolation for Lynn, whose Luke Graham was foiled by Bartlett late on. Lynn: Howie, C Defty, Chapman, Graham, Crane, Sedgemore, Frew, Fisk (Joachim 45), J Defty (Francis 9), Smith, Turner (Bloomfield 79). Subs (not used) Camm, Kelly, Murray. Booking: Crane, Frew. Goal Francis (67).
Kidderminster: Bartlett, Baker, Ferrell, Creighton, Jones, Barnes-Homer, Penn (Bennett 51), Richards (Moore 73), Smilke, Brittain (Riley 57), Lowe. Subs (not used): Knights, Coleman, McDermott, Bowler. Booking: Penn. Sent-off: Jones
Goals: Barnes-Homer (26), Penn (29), Brittain (39), Smikle (49), Richards (62)
Referee: G J Sutton (Lincs) Attendance: 1460 MoM: Michael Frew
Stats, Lynn first: shots on target 7,7; off targrt 3,3; corners 8,6; offside 1,2; freekicks conceded 11,12.
Report by permission of the Lynn News