• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Wisbech Town 3 King's Lynn 4
25th October 1967
WITH goals two minutes from the start, in the 33rd minute and two minutes from the end,
Brian Jenkins put the Linnets three times in the lead and proved the match winner at Fenland Park on Wednesday
evening when Lynn won their way through to the next round of the Southern League Cup.
Playing some of their best football of the season before the season's biggest attendance (962) the Fenmen gave the Linnets a keen tussle, and with the score standing at 3-3 from the 49th minute,
it had appeared likely they would force Lynn to a replay.
But with the referee acknowledging a time signal from one of his linesmen, ,
Jenkins hooked in the winning goal to crown a convincing display.
Though Lynn won this local derby, it was not so clearcut as had been forecast and there is room for much more improvement yet before the
team can expect to make any appreciable improvement on their league position.
There was encouragement, however, that improvement is on the way.
Player-manager Reg Davies had his first complete match since his injury last April, and made many telling passes, while Ronnie Bacon and Tony Haskins each brought more life to the proceedings, and came through after long absences through injury without any apparent ill-effects.
The chief discomforting feature of Lynn's display was the shakiness of the defence, which allowed Wisbech, with only four goals in 10 Southern League matches, to score three times, Hall notching a hat-trick his first goals since Sept. 7.

There was general opinion afterwards that a draw would have been a more fair result, though it was also conceded that the Linnets had created the better chances. In
fact, goalkeeper Jeavons had an unusually good match.
JENKINS showed his opportunism with his first goal. Bacon sent a free kick into the goal area and when it spun off Clarkson, Lynn's new signing promptly slid it into the net.
Coe made a couple of daring saves at the feet of Shreeve, but was beaten by HALL in the fifth minute when Lynn defence was caught wide open, though the Wisbech centre-forward looked distinctly offside.
In the 18th minute Brooks made a blunder in trying to control a ball running back to the Lynn goal and HALL
took advantage to shoot home.
However, two minutes later BROOKS made amends, beating the Wisbech offside trap by shooting hard and low from 30 yards to beat the diving Jeavons.
In the 33rd minute JENKINS restored Lynn's lead with a fine goal. Porter headed the ball upfield, Davies volleyed it on and Jenkins judged it beautifully to volley it home past the advancing goalkeeper.
And so at half-time Lynn lead 3-2, but four minutes after the resumption HALL notched his hat-trick for Wisbech, Coe failed to hold Hall's header and the Wisbech roan forced it home from near the foot of the post.
From then on the play swung quickly from end to end. Jeavons saved well from Jenkins, and Davies, had two strokes of bad luck. A fine shot hit a defender's boot and flew off target, and later Jeavons luckily saving one-handed a back-header.
Two minutes from time Davies put Brooks away on the right and from the cross Clarke headed down for JENKINS to scoop the ball in. A minute later Bacon had a stinging header pushed round the post.
Wisbech: Jeavons, Boggis, Cockell, Jennings, Clarkson, Metcalfe, Heard, Larkin, Hall, Devitt, Shreeves.
Lynn: Coe, Haskins, Sharp, Brooks, Porter, Wright, Bacon, Davies, Lindsay, Jenkins, Clarke.
Report by permission of the Lynn News