• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Histon 3 King's Lynn 2
26th March 2005
Football's a cruel game.
A last-minute goal halted the Linnets' thrilling comeback from 2-0 down.
A fluke goal by David Staff � signed until the end of the season for his third spell at the club on Friday and a cracking first goal in Lynn colours by Simon Clark gave the hundreds of travelling fans hope.
But a last-gasp injury time winner from Neil Kennedy means Histon are favourites for the title and all but ended The Walks outfit's play-off hopes.
Linnets boss Tommy Taylor said: "We couldn't handle it in the first 15 minutes, we got it sorted but still didn't defend well enough.
"Danny Hammond went to ground too easily and we didn't deal with long throws.
"I said to them for the second half if you get the ball down they won't be able to live with you, but for their winner we gave the ball away in the right-back area and made three errors.
"I can't have a go at them because they've played really well.
"Staffy said he felt weird because he hadn't played much and was rusty, but I was pleased he got a goal with a cross/shot."
The game started half an hour late at 12.30pm due to a change of referee. The Linnets were second in every department during the first 30 minutes - in fact it took 34 for them to register a shot, Jack Defty's 20-yarder being deflected for a corner.

In the eighth minute Lynn lost the ball in midfield. Histon, direct as usual, counter-attacked and hesitancy in defence let in Leon Gutzmore in fire in off the bar.
Gutzmore doubled the advantage four minutes later on the rebound after Jamie Barker had hit the post. It could have been more but Steve Wilson twice saved well from David Bridges.
But just before half-time the Stutes cleared an away attack, and Staff put in a first-time ball which looped over everyone and went in the far top corner of the net.
Lynn, electrified by half-time sub Robbie Harris, were a different side after the interval. Harris immediately fashioned an opening and Darran Hay and Danny Hammond should have done better in the ensuing goalmouth scramble.
Taylor threw on all subs as Lynn reorganised (looking the better for it), and raised the tempo against a tiring Histon.
With less than five minutes to go Clark smashed home left-footed from 30 yards off the bar to send the travelling contingent into delirium and it looked as if only one side would win it.
But Kennedy broke Lynn's hearts, stabbing home the loose ball after Wilson had made three great blocks.
Histon finished with two recent Lynn targets, Matty Joseph and Darren Coe.
Histon: Key, Joseph, Okay (Coe 50), Hipperson, Vowden, A. Cambridge, Bridges, Andrews, Kennedy, Gutzmore, Barker. Subs not used: Knight-Percival, Farrington, Goddard, Coburn.
Booked: Joseph 82mins, Hipperson 90. Goals: Gutzmore 8, 12, Kennedy 90+1.
Lynn: S. Wilson, Camm, Setchell (Quistin 75), Hammond, Clark, O'Halloran (Harris h-t), Defty, Angel, Hay (Harvey 68), Bloomfield, Staff. Not used: J. Wilson, Higgs.
Booked: Setchell 26, Hammond 55. Goals: Staff 45, Clark 86.
Referee: M. George (Norfolk). Attendance: 787.
Report by permission of the Lynn News