• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 Eastbourne Borough 0
26th April 2003
THE Linnets finished their home season on a high note by outclassing the league leaders on Saturday.
And they matched a club record by scoring in every single home game this season: a bumper 73 goals in 29 league and cup.
The club did this feat in 26 games in the 1963/64 promotion season; and in 32 matches in the 1953/54 Eastern Counties double-winning campaign.
Unlike Eastbourne, The Walks outfit were confident, aggressive and up for the game, and their grip on the game only weakened when they tired towards the end.
You would be mistaken for thinking on the evidence of this game that it was Lynn who had secured promotion, not Borough.
One game does not make a season, but it bodes well for the next Dr Martens Eastern Division campaign that Lynn defended solidly and always threatened to score against a side who had only let in 31 goals prior to Saturday's game.
From the kick-off The Walks side took the initiative and scored after just three minutes.
A perfectly-weighted through-ball from David Staff found Chris Bacon, who burst into the middle of the Borough box and sent away keeper Paul Stark the wrong way.
The hosts denied already-promoted Eastbourne any meaningful first-half chances, a cross by full-back Stuart Tuck striking the top of the bar their only hope with the Lynn defence alert and covering the threat. Carl Holmes went close twice. He hit the side-netting with a header midway through the opening period, then just missed the angle of post and bar from a quick Lee Stevenson free-kick.
In timely fashion, outstanding defender Mark Burrows increased the advantage on the stroke of half-time, heading home on the goal-line from a corner by Staff.
Bacon had a chance either side of the break, Stark closing him down and then driving the ball over from a Staff free-kick following England keeper David James lookalike Andy Ducille's yellow-card foul on Staff.
More superb build-up play brought saves from Holmes and Stevenson, the latter after a fine one-two with Staff.
It took 67 minutes for the visitors to manage their first clear-cut opportunity, with Louis Blois clearing off the line.
As Lynn faded, young full-back Stephen Harvey made his only mistake of the afternoon with 15 minutes left, allowing Scott Ramsay to cross, but keeper Steve Wilson crucially blocked brilliantly with his legs from Peter Baker's close-range effort.
Lynn sub Mark Paul could not get any power on a bobbling shot, while Stevenson had two late efforts saved, one a spectacular overhead kick.
It leaves sixth-place Lynn with fifth place to play for during their final game this weekend at Dorchester, who are now the league leaders on goal difference. Lynn: Wilson, Harvey, Blois, Burrows, Fuff, Defty (Paul 70), Woodrow, Stevenson, Bacon, Staff, Holmes. Unused subs: Blake, Weston, Harris, Nobes.
Eastbourne: Stark, D Baker, Tuck, Smart, Price, Austin (Crabb 61), Westcott, Pearce, Ramsay, Adams (Goodwin 61), Ducille (P Baker 76). Unused subs: Stevens, Lightwood.
Referee: P Stanton (Bourne). Att 661.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Eastbourne24438 Ducille (54, foul)

Lynn News Man of the Match - Mark Burrows
Report by permission of the Lynn News