• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Our sponsors
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Barwell 1 King's Lynn 3
26th August 2013
Red-hot striker Dan Jacob continued his rich vein of form as King's Lynn Town came from behind to collect the points at Kirby Road.
A brace from Jacob made it seven goals in three games after a late George Thomson penalty had put The Walks outfit in front.
Lynn's starting line-up showed one change from the team which shared six goals with Stocksbridge Park Steels on Saturday.
Midfielder Ross Watson was handed his first start of the season at the expense of Richard Bunting, who dropped to the bench, as Lynn travelled to the team they beat at the start of their run to the last 16 of the FA Trophy last season.
The hosts missed a golden opportunity to take an early lead after a penalty miss in the fifth minute.
A clumsy challenge by Ryan Clarke saw Luke Barlone hauled down in the box, but Danny Newton's spot kick was saved by Danny Gay.
A Tom Weale centre flashed across the face of Lynn's goal soon afterwards while Guy Hadland's header from a corner was comfortably dealt with by Gay.
Midway through the half, Weale rounded Gay, only to see his effort scrambled clear by Phil Gulliver.
Lynn's main source of a goal looked like coming down the left, though they didn't have a sniff of the Barwell target in the opening 35 minutes.
Gary Setchell's side's best move of the half came six minutes before the interval when Dan Jacob's cross was cleared by the home defence after Andy Hall had played him in down the left.
But, on the stroke of half-time, Jordan Yong fouled the dangerous Weale in the area and Barlone made no mistake from the spot, firing home Barwell's second penalty of the afternoon.
Lynn were a different side after the break, though, and five minutes after the restart a great strike by Shane Tolley was brilliantly kept out by the fists of home goalkeeper Liam Castle.
The introduction of Steve Spriggs breathed further life into Lynn, who levelled the match less than a minute later.
Home defender Hadland slipped on his face and Tolley saw his shot come back off the post for Jacob to stab home.
In the 78th minute, Hall skipped past his marker before pulling the ball back for Jacob, who was foiled by a smart reaction save from Castle.
But Lynn were ahead six minutes from time when Jacob was brought down in the area by Richard Lavery and Thomson drove home the resulting penalty.
After a brief delay when a dog came onto the pitch, Danny Gay was at his best with a fingertip save to deny Lavery an equaliser.
But Lynn broke immediately upfield and Jacob showed composure of the highest order to net his second of the afternoon and seal the three points with virtually the last kick of the match.
Barwell: Castle, Lower, Gudger, Hadland, Albrighton, Lavery, Weale, Brehon, Barlone, Gaunt (Brown-Hill 67), Newton.
Scorer: Barlone (pen) 45
Lynn: Gay, Clarke, Yong, Lee, Gulliver, Watson (Spriggs 61), Hall (Bunting 90), Quigley, Thomson, Tolley (Mulready 87), Jacob. Subs not used: Fryatt, Butt.
Scorers: Jacob 52 & 90, Thomson (pen) 84
Attendance: 294
Report by permission of the Lynn News