• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 Histon 8
26th December 2002
LINNETS keeper Dean Greygoose saw red for the second time this season as Lynn were handed a Boxing Day thumping at The Walks.
Lynn let in SEVEN second-half goals to lose 8-2 in what many must consider one of their worst-ever home defeats, with three Histon goals coming in the last two minutes.
The biggest home crowd of the season went home stunned and angry at the debacle they had witnessed.
Greygoose was dismissed in the first half and his exit changed the course of the game as Histon became the second side to complete a league double over Lynn in the month of December.
The opening exchanges saw Lynn in control and in the fifth minute Lee Stephenson knocked the ball down into the path of Chris Bacon, and the youngster was deprived of a goal by a Histon defender, who scrambled the ball clear for a corner.
Lynn took the lead from the resulting set-piece when Raynor's ball in found its way through to Mark Burrows who sidefooted home.
The Linnets remained on top and a flowing three-man move saw Carl Holmes test the handling of the visiting keeper Paul Barber in the eight minute.
Histon's first threat on goal came in the 19th minute when James Rowe sprinted clear only to be brought down by Dean Greygoose in the box.
Greygoose was shown a straight red card before Chris Tovey stepped up to fire the ball wide of substitute keeper Tom Dobrowolski's goal after he had been introduced at the expense of defender Adam Jones.
Histon thought they had levelled in the 27th minute when Jamie Barker's header was ruled out for offisde.
An incident-packed opening saw the visitors awarded a second penalty a minute later when Paul Raynor was harshly adjudged to have fouled Neil Coburn.
Visiting striker Rowe made no mistake with the second spot-kick of the afternoon to bring his side back on level terms.
On the stroke of the interval, Burrows denied Histon a half-time lead when he blocked Rowe's goal-bound shot.
Histon took the lead two minutes into the second half when Dobrowolski, who had a shaky 70 minutes between the posts, failed to deal with Adrian Cambridge's shot and Coburn followed up to score.
A third eventually arrived with 20 minutes left when the Lynn keeper failed to hold Coburn's cross and Rowe headed home.
The woodwork denied Histon another but a fourth did come when Coburn beat the ineffective Jack Defty to smash the ball home.
Seven minutes from time, Graham Rush tapped in from two yards out before Watts netted Lynn's second close to the end. Histon broke forward to add a sixth through former Linnet Ian Cambridge and there was still time for Rowe and Cambridge to add his second in a miserable opening to Lynn's festive programme.
Lynn: Greygoose, Jones (Dobrowolski), Cowling, Burrows, Fuff, Defty, Weston, Raynor, Bacon, Stephenson (Watts), Holmes (Harris)
Histon: Barber, Farrington, Rush, Jaffery, Hipperson, A Cambridge, Tovey, Barker, Rowe, Munns, Coburn. Subs: Haniver, Moe, Goddard, I Cambridge, S Fallon
Att: 748
Referee: Wade Bookings: Lynn Burrows, Raynor. Histon: Jeffrey Sent Off: Greygoose
Report by permission of the Lynn News