• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Grantham Town 3
26th December 1992
UNDER STRENGTH Lynn were never a match for a fast, young Grantham side on Boxing Day, and missed the skills of John Linford (unavailable) and Scott McIntosh (injured).
And with Mark Howard and Clive Worthington both hobbling off in the second half, the Linnets did well to keep the score down. However, it could have been different had Howard taken an early chance. Impressive left hack Hamish Curtis - on loan from Boston United - put in a cross, which found the winger virtually on the goal line, but somehow his effort was stopped.

Grantham, coached by former Lynn manager Shaughan Farrow and including ex-Linnets Lee Rippin, Kevin Topliss and Geoff Stephenson, with Milton Graham on the bench, soon came into the match.
As the home defence showed hesitancy, Dale Watkins blasted just over the bar, and a few minutes later Topliss ran clear on the left but screwed his effort just wide. Lynn keeper Steve Lewis then made it brilliant save with his feet to deny Terry Harris.

Lynn hit hack, with Derek Wood seeing his 30th minute snap shot well saved and also seeing a lob deflected just wide of the post.
But in the 31st minute Neil Fryatt committed a foul on the left, the resultant free kick was swung in, headed on, and nodded in by Andy Moore for the visitors' opener.

Wood kept busy for Lynn, chipping just over right on half time. But it was Tim Webster, recalled to the side, who fired in a 50th minute equaliser, after the keeper had dropped a testing cross from Curtis.
Seconds after the goal Howard went off with a knee injury and Grantham scored twice in two minutes. First Chris Grocock ran 20 yards before dipping a long shot past Lewis, after dispossessing Fryatt. Then Watkins ran on to a long ball as the Lynn defence watched, and coolly slotted past the bemused Lynn keeper.
Lewis stopped Grantham adding to their tally, saving well twice from Harris, and for Lynn Spencer Clay and substitute Jamie Tyers both wasted good chances to get them back into the match.
Lynn: Lewis, Fryatt, Curtis, Worthington (Stannard 70 mins), Maxwell, Bunting, Webster, Clay, Wood, Howard (Tyers 49 mins), Robinson.
Attendance: 387
Lynn News Man of the Match: Hamish Curtis - head and shoulders above the rest.
Report by permission of the Lynn News