• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Yate Town 3 King's Lynn 0
27th March 2007
YATE Town ended Lynn's Southern Premier League title dream on Tuesday and put a dent in the club's play-off ambitions in the process.
Lynn only travelled to the west country with a squad of 14 with Sam McMahon, Steve Melton, Jack Defty, Charlie Defty, Mark Warren and Greg Crane all missing through injury.
Linnets boss Keith Webb, who watched his sloppy side suffer their second 3-0 reverse on the road in the space of a week, said: "We didn't play that badly in the first half and created the better chances.
"We conceded just before the interval and that took the wind out of our sails a little bit and after the break we switched off for both of their goals.
"To give two goals away like that was very galling and it really knocked the stuffing out of us."
Lynn, who haven't scored in four attempts against the Bluebells on their travels, fielded a much-changed side from the one that beat Hemel Hempstead a few days earlier.
Danny Hammond was joined by youngster Sam Gaughran in the heart of the defence.
"Considering the situation, I thought the pair of them coped well," commented Webb on Hammond and Gaughran's makeshift partnership at the back.
The Linnets had the better of the first half and their first ever win in five attempts at Lodge Road looked a distinct possibility.
Yate goalkeeper Sam Pearce was forced into a smart double save from Matt O'Halloran midway through the half.
Steve Jenkins came to Yate's rescue with a covering tackle, before Lynn's Dean West skimmed the top of the crossbar with a free-kick.
The hosts had been restricted to mainly long-range efforts but they went in front on 40 minutes when Adam Sims turned in the rebound after Paul Chenoweth's low drive came back off the post.
Ten minutes into the second half Yate went 2-0 ahead when Jake Reid netted from a Dave Elsey corner after Shaun Marshall had made a half-hearted attempt to collect the ball.
Yate's third and final goal came on 63 minutes when Aaron Blakemore's free-kick deceived Marshall at the near post.
Lynn: Marshall, West, Blois, Hammond, Gaughran, Fisk (Harvey 79), O'Halloran, Camm, Nolan, Bloomfield (Fell 51), Frew. Sub not used: McAnally.
MoM: Duncan McAnally, the only player to escape getting on in another painful performance.
Referee: Mr I. Hamilton (Cheltenham). Att: 152.
Report by permission of the Lynn News