• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 0 Ilkeston 1
27th August 2001
THE LINNETS unbeaten run came crashing to an end yesterday after Ilkeston stole the points with a late winner.
King s Lynn controlled the majority of the game, but failed to make their chances count before Gareth Williams pounced with two minutes left.
The Linnets, league leaders before the game, were keen to stamp their authority and dictated the pace early on, forcing a succession of early corners.
The Robins responded by wasting two glorious chances in the space of a minute.
Home goalkeeper Steve Wilson had to be alert to snatch the ball from the feet of Tony Hemmings in the sixth minute, and seconds later Jon Knapper fired wide when well-placed in the box.
Jason Minett saw a long-range effort deflected for a corner, while visiting keeper Andy Love saved a cushioned Lyndon Rowland header.
Ilkeston came close to opening their account in the 29th minute when Hemmings free-kick was well saved by Wilson, who had to scramble across his goal to keep out the ball with the merest of fingertips.
The Linnets finally brought the large crowd to life with a concerted spell of pressure towards the end of the first half, but a stubborn away defence refused to buckle. The impressive Jamie March missed the Linnets best chance of the half in the 42nd minute when he failed to make a clean connection with Simon Dakin s cross from the left.
Matt McKenzie was lucky to escape punishment on the stroke of half-time for a crude challenge on  Lynn's Lee Hudson.
The Linnets came within inches of taking the lead from the resulting free-kick from the edge of the box when Dave Robinson headed into the side netting.
The Linnets began the second period as they had ended the first, but in the 52nd minute they almost went behind when James Whitehead s shot scraped the top of the woodwork.
Twelve minutes into the half Love plucked the ball off the head of Rowland following a delightful cross from Hudson.
Robinson planted a header over the bar and minutes later sub Louis Evans tested the keeper with a stinging shot through a crowd of players.
Midway through the half Kirkwood nodded over with the goal at his mercy after Chris Timons' flick-on.
Five minutes from time, a Simon Dakin cross/shot was tipped over the bar before the Linnets were made to pay for their deficiencies in front of goal.
Lynn: Wilson, Dakin, March, Robinson, Fuff, Clark, Anderson (Wright 88), Hayes, Rowland, Hudson (Clarke 78), Minett (Evans 59).
Ilkeston: A. Love, J. Whitehead, G. Middleton, C. Timons, M. McKenzie, J. Knapper, I. Robinson, T. Hemmings, D. Holmes (G. Kirkwood 64), G. Williams, E. Nwadike. Subs: J. Eaton, C. Wright.
Att: 1,145.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Ilkeston 357513 Timons
Lynn News Man of the Match - Dave Robinson
Report by permission of the Lynn News