• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Worksop Town 2 King's Lynn 2
27th September 2003
CHRIS Bacon climbed off the bench to earn the battling Linnets a deserved replay in an absorbing qualifying round tie at Sandy Lane.
Bacon cleverly turned and steered a right-foot effort past Ian Bowling in the Worksop goal - two minutes after home dangerman Matty Cauldwell had looked to have put The Tigers through to the next round.
Lynn twice had to come from behind, but ended the tie looking the more likely team to net a winner after Bacon's late strike gave Peter Morris' side a new lease of life.
The Linnets took the game to the hosts in the first half.
In the 8th minute, Robbie Harris volleyed a David Staff centre over, before Worksop broke forward and Andy Todd shot wide seconds later.
Lynn continued to trade blows with the Tigers and in the 16th minute Raynor's pass picked out Malcolm Ndekwe, whose smart turn and shot was well saved by Bowling.
The Walks outfit were dealt a cruel blow three minutes later as they fell behind for the first time this season when Simeone Bambrook found some space to drill a low 20yard shot past Steve Wilson.
But Lynn hit straight back when, nine minutes later, David Staff saw his drive well saved by the feet of Bowling before tucking home the follow-up with his left peg.
Lynn- now took charge. Staff cut inside from the left but skied his effort over the bar, while Ndekwe's cross was taking off the head of Jack Defty by the fist of Bowling.
Worksop responded when Todd's run into the box was halted by Glen Fuff in the 40th minute.
A minute later Chris Glarvey headed a certain Paul Sykes goal off the line and two minutes before the break Todd's cross-cum-shot came back off the post, hit Wilson and went out for a corner.
The Worksop pressure continued after the restart, with many of Lynn's problems coming down the right where

Shane Huke was given an afternoon to forget playing in an emergency right-back position.
Huke, who was surprisingly handed the role, continually gave the ball away and couldn't cope with the pace of both Cauldwell and Todd.
A minute into the half, former Tamworth striker Darren Roberts' effort was plucked out of the air by Wilson.
Three minute later Defty was booked for a late tackle and soon after he hobbled off the field after making a rash challenge for the ball.
Bacon replaced Ndekwe, but it didn't curtail the home pressure with Richard Peacock's free-kick being saved by Wilson, before Todd blazed over after a neat piece of interplay between him and Cauldwell.
Lynn's problems went from bad to worse when the overworked Harris felt the full force of Sykes' challenge and limped out of the action.
The writing then looked on the wall for Lynn when Worksop took the lead for the second time in the 74th minute.
Raynor and Huke were at fault on the right, while Wilson only half came for the ball, before the impressive Cauldwell slid the ball home from the narrowest of angles.
The inevitable collapse now looked on, but the Lynn of this season continued to display the fighting spirit which has seen them remain unbeaten for 13 games.
With 12 minutes left, Raynor's free-kick was nodded down into the path of Bacon by Staff and the striker made no mistake with a sweet finish.
The goal filled Lynn with confidence and for the final few minutes it was their turn to keep The Tigers caged in their own half.
A minute from the end, Carl Holmes, who had a quiet game by his standards, let loose with a blistering 25-yard drive which was somehow kept out by Bowling, who knew little about the midfielder's effort.
A yard either side would have seen Lynn through.
Worksop: I Bowling, G Smith, K Davies, R. Peacock, R. Dryden, P. Sykes, A. Todd, L. Whitehead, S Bambrook, D. Roberts (G. Townsenc 67), M. Cauldwell. Subs not used: M Platt, D. Fricker, D. Payne, J Mitchell.
Lynn: Wilson, Glarvey, Huke, Bu rows, Fuff, Defty (Woodrow 55) Staff, Raynor, Ndekwe (Bacon 52) Harris (Blake 70), Holmes. Not use, Thompson and Nobes.
Referee: Mr P Walker.
Attendance: 834. \n
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn News Man of the Match - Mark Burrows.
Report by permission of the Lynn News