• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 0 Farnborough Town 4
27th October 2001
IF only Kristian Jones' fourth minute shot had gone in.
Had the Lynn forward's effort not just hit the post, maybe it would have been a different story and it could have been the Linnets now celebrating a place in the first round proper and a £20,000 pay-day.
We'll never know, and the extra class and firepower of the Conference side told.
The scoreline was harsh on Tony Spearing's walking wounded, but the 'Boro gave them a lesson in shooting in front of a bumper crowd.
All four of Farnborough's goals, including hat-trick hero Lenny Piper's, came from transfer-listed players.
The Walks outfit missed the injured Dave Robinson, which meant that Simon Dakin was drafted in the three-man central defence. This left Jason Minett exposed at right wingback.
If Lynn wanted to get anything from the tie, they needed a good start. They meant business and almost got an early goal as Jamie Clarke played the ball through to Jones on the left of the box.
But Jones struck the base of the near post with second choice away keeper Darren Bonfield beaten.
The visitors replied in the seventh minute as Steve Wilson smartly saved from Lenny Piper and Jamie March cleared over the bar.
Farnborough took the lead from the resulting corner.
As the ball was cleared, Steve Watson returned it into the box and, with Lynn looking for offside, Lenny Piper slotted past Wilson.
On the quarter-hour mark came another great home chance, Tommy Wright playing a delightful through ball on the turn, but Bonfield turned Clarke's first-time effort around the post.
Dakin was booked for a foul, but made up for it with an immediate goal-line clearance after Wilson had denied Lenny Piper's brother Chris.
But Piper lobbed his second strike when a ball over the top caught the Lynn defence square again.
Wilson made two more superb saves, including a low reaction effort when March back-headed a free-kick.
The sides traded chances with Clarke's cross tipped over the bar. This prompted a succession of Linnets corners with Dakin and Glen Fuff playing despite a broken toe going close.
Just before half-time Joff Vansittart rattled the Lynn bar, while March headed off the line when Wilson again saved from Lenny Piper.
The Linnets had the ideal opportunity to get back in the game in the first minute of the second half.
Wright flicked on Clarke's right-wing cross, but Wayne Anderson missed his fifth sitter of the season from eight yards, the ball trickling past the post.
A Jones cross hit the top of the bar, and two minutes later the Lynn forward missed his shot when Clarke was free in the middle of the box.
Until the 65th minute the Linnets continued to be all over the Conference side, but the visitors grabbed the killer third goal with a fluent move.
Their first chance of the half was a brotherly act, Chris crossing for Lenny Piper to head home at the near post for his hat-trick.
Chris and Lenny Piper and Lynn's Clarke all went close before Chris Piper set up Vansittart to shrug off two defenders and score off-balance 12 minutes from time.
Lynn deserved a goal, but their day was summed up in the final minute. Clarke was again thwarted by a block, and sub Louis Evans was a yard over with the follow-up.
- So near, yet so far.
So the Linnets will have to wait next year for their 300th FA Cup match.
Lynn: Wilson, Dakin, March, Minett, Fuff, Clark, Wright (White 69), Hayes, Jones (Evans 69), Clarke, Anderson (Rowe 69). Not used: Spearing, Nobes.
Farnborough: D. Bonfield, M. Warner, T. Taggart, D. Annon, N. Bunce, B. Laker, S. Watson, L. Piper, J. Vansittart, C. Piper, G. Patterson. Not used: Bennetts, Dublin, Harper, Benstead, Jones.
Bookings - Lynn: Dakin (23, foul); Wright (30, dissent); White (83, foul).
Att: 1,758.
MoM: Steve Wilson (for his saves)/Glen Fuff (for playing through injury)
Report by permission of the Lynn News