• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 Dover 0
27th November 1982
Chris Watts with his first goal in cup football this season shot the Linnets into an 18th minute lead against Dover on Saturday.
After a slow start by the Linnets, it was just the tonic and from then on the result of this FA Trophy 2nd qualifying round tie was not seriously in doubt.
Les McJannet played the ball out of defence, Brian Thomson provided the centre and Watts had two bites at it before crashing in a low right-foot shot.
He said afterwards: "When the ball came over I was tackled. but I could see which way the bounce was going and I got behind the defender which left only the goalkeeper".
It all began to look too easy with Lynn spreading the play and keeping Dover pinned down. Andy Higgins volleyed over. Jim Kabia thumped in a header and Richard Johnston was left still looking for his first goal this season despite getting into two good positions for his lethal left foot.
A second goal was inevitable and came in the 40th minute from Lynn's sixth corner. Although Higgins did not make a good contact with Elliott's cross, the ball went on to Freddie Easthall who was beyond the far post. Easthall chipped back and picked out Kabia who was left with a close-range header.
Dover's best efforts in the first half came from the right flank where they attacked Marty Wiles. Kevin Clay and John O'Connell both got through for a couple of good shots.

But overall Lynn had been solid enough and Dover looked no-hopers in this contest.
Manager Keith Rudd must have warned at half time against complacency, only to watch with disbelief as his experienced team sat back in the last half-hour.
Dover showed creditable cup-fighting spirit and were robbed by an offside flag when O'Connell netted. Mick Drewery was called on more often than he had probably anticipated and went down to turn away another O'Connell effort.
In the 75th minute Drewery was pulled-up for taking too many steps and Lynn packed their goalmouth with all eleven players to block the 12-yard free-kick. It was a real chance for Dover, but Bobby Wilson's shot was weakly hit and easily headed away.
Just after this a good header by Adrian Fagg was touched on to the bar by Drewery and McJannet made the clearance.
Lynn were always capable of making the quick break, with Keeley and Watts both going close. But the third goal which would have killed off the Southern League fighters did not come.
It led Keith Rudd to say afterwards: "We got lazy and sloppy in the second half which let them come at us. I accept that we got the result, but we could have played much better.
Lynn: Drewery. McJannet. Higgins. Johnston. Wiles: Watts. Elliott. (sub Thompson 62 mins) Easthall: Keeley. Kabia. Thomson
Dover: Radford. Clay. Scott. Wilson. Linstrem. Fagg. Young. Westgarth, Kypes (sub Miller 73 mins), O' Connell
Referee: J. Murden (Cambridge). Attendance: 425.
Report by permission of the Lynn News