• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Stalybridge 1 King's Lynn 1
30th August 2008
LINNETS goalkeeper Scott Howie stood between the ten-men of Stalybridge Celtic and an avalanche of goals as Lynn continued their amazing run of drawn games.
Howie had an inspired afternoon as Lynn secured their sixth successive draw to become one of three teams yet to lose a game in the Blue Square North this season.
Keith Webb's side matched their hosts in the opening 20 minutes, despite Nathan Joynes going close to breaking the deadlock in the opening minute.
Michael Frew, Joe Francis and Ben Sedgemore all wasted chances for Lynn, with Stalybridge keeper Paul Phillips at full-stretch to deny Frew.
But it was almost shooting practice on the Linnets goal for the final 20 minutes of the half.
Howie pulled off an amazing double save to first of all foil Lee Ellington and then Keith Briggs, who looked certain to score before Lynn's shotstopper intervened.
Ellington had another close range effort parried away by Howie, before Steve Torpey picked up the loose ball and forced Howie into another terrific save.
Chris Williams fired wide before Howie thwarted him by palming the ball away.
The breakthrough eventually arrived in the 33rd minute when the impressive duo of Ellington and Joynes combined to set up Williams.
Joynes could have made it two, but Howie pulled off a great stop to deny him before the hosts were reduced to ten when Terry Barwick was sent-off for an alleged elbow on David Bridgwater.
It was difficult to pick out which side had ten men as Lynn turned in a sluggish display.
But 14 minutes into the second period, Francis whipped in a cross for Defty, who got in front of his marker to head home from close range.
Shots continued to fly towards the Linnets' goal, but a quick breakaway saw Defty forced wide and tackled after he had rounded the keeper and looked certain to score.
Howie's heroics continued with saves from Joynes, Torpey and Keith Briggs within the space of a few minutes.
With ten minutes remaining, the Linnets broke clear of the Celtic onslaught and a curling effort from Francis cannoned back off the post.
Stalybridge continued to surge forward in search of a winner and Williams and Barlow both went narrowly wide with low cutting shots from opposite angles in the last few minutes.

Stalybridge: Phillips, Woolliscroft, Meynell, Keeling, Barwick, Sykes, Torpey (Smart 86), Briggs, Ellington (Platt 39), Joynes (Barlow 71), Williams. Subs not used: Wilkinson, Wood. Sending off: Barwick. Goal: Williams (33)
Lynn: Howie, Weaver, Chapman, Peters, Crane, Camm, Frew, Sedgemore (Smith 50), Defty (Turner 65), Bridgwater (Bloomfield 54), Francis. Subs not used: Murray, Joachim.
Booking: Sedgemore. Goal: Defty (59).
Referee: P Davies (Lynn). Attendance: 489. MoM: Scott Howie.
Stats, Lynn first: shots on target 4, 10; off target 5, 5; corners 4, 3; offside 2, 5; free-kicks conceded 12, 7.
Report by permission of the Lynn News