• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Worksop Town 4
30th September 2003
THREE goals in the final five minutes gave Worksop a flattering scoreline and ended the battling Linnets' interest in the Cup for another year.
Until then the tie was close at 1-1, with The Walks outfit's Mark Burrows having equalised late on, and looking to go towards extra-time. 
But the extra class of the Tigers, one division above Lynn, told in the end.
The tie started slowly, neither keeper being troubled early on.
Lynn's first effort on target was by teenager Stephen Harvey - who had an outstanding opening half after replacing Shane Huke at right-back - on 20 minutes. He intercepted a Tigers attack and finished the move by sending a 20-yard shot at keeper Ian Bowling.
The best chance of the first period fell on the half-hour to Worksop's Simeon Bambrook, who headed over the bar from Gary Townsend's flick..
Two minutes later Lynn's Chris Bacon somehow missed an inviting David Staff centre, the ball going through his legs and hitting his heel.
Lynn were living off scraps due to the bizarre policy of lifting long balls to the diminutive Robbie Harris.
So, all to play for in the second half, 
Heroic defending denied the visitors after 52 minutes when Chris Glarvey and Carl Holmes cleared off the line.
On the hour Lynn keeper Steve Wilson thwarted Matty Cauldwell, then up the other end Staff drew a good low save from Bowling.
Worksop broke the deadlock on 66 minutes, a good turn in the box by Bambrook leaving 550 game veteran Linden Whitehead with a tap-in. Lynn replied within eight minutes, a superb in swinging Staff free-kick resulting in blocked efforts from Richard Woodrow before Burrows helped the ball over the line.
The tie was developing into a classic, with more space for players to run at defenders and more mistakes creeping in for tired legs.
With five minutes left, a poor corner was luckily retained by the Tigers, and Bambrook set up skipper Whitehead again.
In the space of a minute Woodrow burst into the box and missed a glorious opportunity to level again.
The usually influential Paul Raynor, who ironically is a security guard at Worksop Magistrates Court, could not usher his side out of jail.
Bambrook got a third assist when he skipped around the box, cleverly drew the keeper before squaring to sub Richard Peacock to fire home in the 89th minute.
As Lynn poured forward in stoppage time, they were caught on the break and the pacy Cauldwell rifled into the roof of the net.
Lynn: Wilson, Harvey (Ndekwe 87), Glarvey, Burrows, Fuff, Holmes, Staff, Raynor, Bacon, Harris, Woodrow. Subs not used: Hyde, Blake, Thompson, Nobes.
Worksop: 1. Bowling, G. Smith, K. Davies, S. Hawes, R. Dryden, P. Sykes, A. Todd (R. Peacock 50), L. Whitehead, S. Bambrook, G. Townsend, M. Cauldwell. Not used: D. Roberts, R. Ludlam, R. Davis, N. Glasser. Booked: Whitehead 30.
Referee: Mr P. Stanton (Bourne).
Att: 1,209. 
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Worksop753416 Whitehead, 30
Lynn News Man of the Match - Mark Burrows
Report by permission of the Lynn News