• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 3 Causeway United 1
30th September 2006
Lynn secured their place in the third qualifying round of the FA Cup with a 3-1 win at The Walks - but were made to work hard for the win by minnows Causeway.
Linnets boss Tommy Taylor paid tribute to the Midlands-based outfit after the game, saying: "All credit to Causeway, they came here and gave it a real go.
"But on another day we could have had a hatful of goals. We missed so many chances.
"Jack (Defty) took his two goals well and Alex Notman looked lively when he came on."
All the pre-match talk was about how many the Linnets could score, but it was the visitors who almost took a shock lead inside the first 20 seconds.
With fans still taking their seats in The Walks' main stand, Lynn skipper Mark Warren let a routine pass slip under his foot allowing lanky striker Gavin Mole to burst through on goal.
A combination of Grant Cooper and John Higgs stopped Mole in his tracks but the ball broke to Chris Bladen who dragged his shot agonisingly wide of an open goal from ten yards out.
Causeway more than held their own during the opening exchanges, but fell behind within five minutes after they allowed Matt O'Halloran time and space on the right flank.
O'Halloran swung a perfect cross onto Jack Defty's forehead and the big frontman duly glanced into the bottom corner past the despairing dive of Paul Fellows.
The entertainment continued and the impressive Mole tested Higgs with a looping header, before Fellows made a point blank save to deny Defty a second goal.
Defty did beat the keeper with a rasping 25-yarder soon after but his effort clipped the bar.
Fellows was fast becoming the busiest man on the pitch and the big stopper did well to turn O'Halloran's drive from 25 yards round the post with half-time looming.
However from Adam Smith's resulting corner Defty nodded his second to the keeper's left to leave Causeway facing an uphill task after the interval.
Frew made way for Matt Nolan at half-time and he joined the Linnets ranks swarming forward.
The lively Smith fired wide, but despite dominating the possession and camping deep in the Causeway half, they couldn't find a way through.
Alex Notman was introduced on the hour with Adam Fry making way after an enthusiastic, but not overwhelming, debut.
Notman nearly scored with his first touch when he headed against the bar from close range before Sam McMahon's follow-up header was blocked on the line and the ball was eventually scrambled clear.
Despite huffing and puffing, Lynn were struggling to blow the Causeway house down and McMahon spurned another chance when he blasted over after a marauding run down the right by O'Halloran.
Another run by the tricky midfielder ended with Notman seeing a shot deflected just wide of the post.
Defty was substituted on 73 minutes after a fine display, which the fans acknowledged, and his replacement Luke Fell was swiftly into the action.
Fell played a neat one-two with Nolan in the area, but Fellows rushed off his line and blocked the shot from 12 yards.
Causeway went straight down the other end and won a free-kick just outside the box and with the home fans chewing their finger nails Nathan Williams sent a relatively tame shot towards Higgs' goal.
The Lynn keeper went down to his right, but only parried the ball into the path of Mole who kept up his impressive scoring form by blasting the ball back past Higgs with interest to send a small band of travelling fans wild.
If Linnets fans feared the worst they did not have to worry for long as Nolan latched onto a hopeful throughball after 80 minutes and fired low to Fellows' right.
The goal was greeted with more relief than rapture, but it was enough to see Lynn through to yesterday's draw.
Lynn: Higgs, West, Smith, Warren, Cooper, Camm, J. Defty (Fell 71 minutes), McMahon, Fry (Notman 56 minutes), Frew (Nolan 45 minutes), O'Halloran. Unused substitutes: Kennedy, C. Defty.
Causeway United: Fellows, Bissell, Hollis, Winsper, Smith, Cox, Blount (Darby 36 minutes), Williams (Burley 82 min), Bladen (Garrett 80 min), Mole, Sproston.
Subs unused: Yafai, Smallman.
Bookings: Hollis and Winsper.
Referee: I. J. Rathbone (Northans FA). Attendance: 843. MoM: Jack Defty
Report by permission of the Lynn News