The Seven Sisters
The west end of the football ground has various names, some call it the Hospital End, others the Seven Sisters. On the live stream, Chairman Stephen Cleeve has occasionally made mention of people watching the game from "Whiley Hill".
Watching games from outside the ground is no new thing. In 1888 is was observed: "About eighty people paid the sixpence admission, but about 3,000
shouted themselves hoarse from the 'Walks'".
Back in the early years of the 18th century there was a raised area known as Gallows Hill, and this was the site of the White Mount, a bastion tower which was a part of the town defences.
The land going from there to the Millfleet, stretching to the Southgates, appears to have been know as Gallows Pasture. There criminals were dispatched with
a gang of sixteen pirates reported to have met there end there in 1587 and "a lady" in 1677.
Most public hangings, however, took place on gallows south of the Southgates towards the Wisbech Road.
After the bastion was removed the site was the location of a corn mill which was demolished in the 1750s.
In 1760 a fenced circle of seven elm trees were planted on the site by William Mixon a former town mayor and it became known as the Seven Sisters
- a site apparently popular with newly betrothed couples - a kiss being exchanged there considered by some as the seal on their engagement.
The trees were replanted in 1827 and again in 1896 by which time horse chestnut trees were chosen.
It seems elm trees were re-instated at some point as they fell victim of Dutch Elm disease in 1971 and were replaced by seven raised flower beds with trees being replanted there relatively recently.
King's Lynn General Hospital was built in 1834 on land to the west of the Seven Sisters on part of what was Gallows Pasture
and so that end of the football ground got its two names. With the presence of the Seven Sisters public house nearby the Hospital End may have been preferred by some Chairmen/directors
as the alternative might have been considered free advertising for the pub.
The hospital was demolished in the 1980s and the public house closed in 2002 but the Seven Sisters are still in place (strictly speaking six trees and a gap!)