• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Our sponsors
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

It is possible to follow the fortunes of the football club representing the town of King's Lynn since August 1881, when King's Lynn Football Club was formed, to the present day. It is thanks to the local newspapers of the time that some facts about the history of football in King's Lynn can be verified but what happened before that date is missing a few crucial details! There is reference to a sporting event staged by the "Lynn Football Club" in April 18681 so there was a football club before 1881 and there are match reports in the press to January 18762.
It seems that early 1876 saw the demise of the club while it might be relevant that a club called Lynn CEYMS played their first game in November 18763 possibly created as a result of the demise of the town club.
There were a number of clubs playing in the town in the late 19th century, the most notable probably being Lynn CEYMS and Lynn Alexandra (est 1877) along with Lynn Star4 and Lynn United.
It was Lynn CEYMS, referred to in some newspaper reports of the time as "the town club" that morphed into King's Lynn Football Club.
The year 1881 was an important one for Norfolk football. It was reported that after a game between Lynn CEYMS and Norwich Wanderers a meeting was held in the Black Horse, Chapel Street, King's Lynn "for the purpose of forming a football association"5. A Mr Robert William Street of King's Lynn was appointed an Honary Secretary.
The creation of the NFA in February 1881 was probably the catalyst for the creation of King's Lynn Football Club six months later.
Local newspapers provide the date of the club's reformation reporting on a meeting on Tuesday 30th August6 where "it was unanimously resolved to form a King's Lynn Football Club", many of the officers having previously played for or being involved with Lynn CEYMS including a Mr R W Street as one of the secretaries, more of him later.
In October it was reported
7 that the "newly formed club" had arranged fixtures against clubs representing Downham Market, Holbeach, West Norfolk, Norfolk & Norwich, and Volunteers and the first game was played two days later against the Banks Eleven. The Lynn team reached the final of the Norfolk Association Challenge Cup (now Norfolk Senior Cup) in March 1882 a match report appearing in the People's Weekly Journal, six of the players having turned out for Lynn CEYMS against the same opponents the previous year.
Lynn players were of some quality with Arthur Dunn, and brothers Charles and Kenneth Wilson selected for England.8

Football became popular (King Edward VII being a patron of King's Lynn FC as was his successor George V) and the town had its own football newspaper - The Lynn Football Star which was published from 3 October 1903 to 23 January 1915, three copies of this are in Lynn Museum whilst the names of Joseph Dines and George Gemmell were added to Lynn's list of international players.
In those days Lynn's colours were not always as they are now with white shirts being mentioned in the 1892-939 season and black and white striped shirts being reported as being provided by the club for the 1893-94 season. For the Norfolk Senior Cup final in 1899 Lynn turned out in red and navy blue. According to the Norfolk FA Hanbook of 1907 the colours of the club were blue and gold whilst the Eastern Daily Press noted on 18 September 1909 that "Lynn played for the first time in their new colours of claret with blue sleeves and white trousers" whilst the Lynn Advertiser described the trousers as "knickers" and also noted the players had "a slim band of ribbon around the knee".
The match report for the game against Cromer on 17 March 1923  says that Lynn "turned out in their new colours of old gold and royal blue" so perhaps this was the first time the now traditional colours were adopted although black and white stripes were re-adopted in the mid 1920s as blue and gold shirts tended to fade but match reports indicate that blue and gold were restored in the early 1930s.

So where does the 1879 on the current Lynn badge originate?
The current badge design was launched in May 2017 and at that time 1879 was believed to be the correct date. It was only when COVID-19 and lockdowns gave individuals time to search the history of the club that questions arose.
There is no evidence from the local newspapers of the time, that a club was formed in 1879 or playing in 1880. The two main clubs in the town were Lynn CEYMS and Lynn Alexandra.
The idea that 1879 was the date of the formation of KLFC might have come of an article in the Lynn Advertiser published in April 1901.
The paper previewed the forthcoming FA Amateur Cup Final against Crook Town but there was also a column in which Mr R W Street recalls: "I think it was in 1879 that I joined and became secretary of the club in connection with the Lynn CEYMS. A few months after this one or two of us conceived of resuscitating the old Town Club, which had some years previously died a natural death.
"Unfortunately this involved the break up of the CEYMS eleven, but the result was considered worth the sacrifice."
Robert William Street was a player and secretary of Lynn CEYMS (playing for CEYMS in March 1881) and then took the same roles with King's Lynn FC giving a better interpretation of "a few months after" or, perhaps, there was just a long period between conceiving the resuscitation of the old Town Club and the achievement.

After the club was liquidated in 2009 it came back into being as King's Lynn Town Football Club. This was because the FA did not allow clubs, either reformed or "new" clubs taking the name of that which had recently gone out of business.
So it was known as King's Lynn Football Club prior to 2009.
In some Non-League directories it is suggested that the club was once called Lynn Town although there is no evidence of this.
What it was officially and what it was known as maybe two different things. June 1882 saw a report on the Annual General Meeting of King's Lynn Football Club and similarly in 1887. In 1891 it is recorded that an amalgation with Lynn Star resulted in the formation of Kings Lynn Football Association and was still referred to as such in 1899.
A squad team picture of 1909 show the players under a KLFC banner and mention of the club in the newspapers of early 189010 and, indeed, in 1868 mention King's Lynn Football Club.
It might be that the term Lynn Town was just a way of referring to the town side as opposed to other football clubs in the town.
Mick Blakeman's History of the Eastern Counties League, gives 1953 as the year in which Lynn Town became King's Lynn FC but there is nothing reported in the local press of the time whilst the club matchday programmes from 1926 through to the 2009 all bear the name King's Lynn Football Club.
The nickname "The Linnets" seems to have been around for some time.
Evidence that the club was once known as "The Shrimpers", as suggested in the 1968 Handbook, is not forthcoming. Newspaper reports from the 1890's used the nickname "The Lynnites" and it is probable that "The Linnets" came from this. The earliest use of the term "The Linnets" that has been noted, so far, is in a December 1902 match report in the Eastern Daily Press.

Joseph Dines - Lynn's Olympic Gold medalist.
Born 12 April 1886 he was the youngest of four sons of Frank and Josephine Dines of 4 Whitefriars Terrace, King's Lynn.
He made his first team debut on 13 February 1904 and over the next ten years made 149 appearances for Lynn - scoring 28 goals.
As an amateur player he made 24 appearances for England's amateur international team and three in the 1912 Olympics helping the Great Britain & Northern Ireland team retain the Gold Medal won in 1908. The house Whitefriars Terrace bears a plaque to mark the house where he was born.
A more detailed biography can be found here.

Mick Wright - British Record Holder.
Michael Eric Wright was born on 16th January 1942 and initially joined King's Lynn FC on loan in 1961 from Northampton Town.
He went on to make 1,152 appearances - a British Record for playing at one club, and turned down the chance to play at a higher level. He took part in Lynn's FA Cup run that saw them reach the Third Round at a trip to Everton in January 1962.
It was not just the number of appearances that made Mick a remarkable footballer but his dedication and commitment to the game and the club.
A more detailed biography and playing record can be found here.

Early league action saw Lynn play in the Norfolk & Suffolk League and, additionally, the East Anglian League winning the former on eight occasions. Football in those days had something of a charm to it in that the outcome was never too certain. Indeed on more than one occasion it is recorded that the visiting team refused to complete the match for fear of missing the train home.
It wasn't until the 1935-36 season that Lynn changed competitions by joining the Eastern Counties League and also the East Midlands League..
Unlike many clubs, Lynn continued to play duringthe war, hosting 190 matches, mostly against military teams, some including notable league players.
After the Second World War Lynn played in the United Counties League but on turning "professional" (the players were paid) for the 1948-49 season they moved back to the Eastern Counties League and achieved the league and league cup double in the 1953-54 season. A brief spell in the Midland League - where they played such "Midlands based" teams as Rotherham and Scarborough, they joined the Southern League for the 1958-59 season. This, in terms of the league pyramid, was the highest level Lynn achieved.
Lynn's geographical position and the structure of the non-league competitions has always meant a fair degree of travelling whether it be to Taunton and Poole or Gateshead and Workington. A restructuring of the league at the end of the 1979-80 saw Lynn transferred to the Northern Premier League. This was quite a remarkable promotion as the 79-80 season saw us finish eighth in the Midland Division of the Southern League.
Not surprisingly the first season in the Northern Premier League was a struggle with Lynn finishing 19th.
The following season saw a very creditable 5th followed by a 9th with the consolation of winning the Northern Premier League President's Cup. Unfortunately it was a trophy we were never allowed to defend as Lynn were moved back to Southern League for the 1983-84 season.
Their return south saw them finish in sixth place and the following season they finished runners-up, the promotion contest being decided on the last day of the season.
There then followed a number of very disappointing seasons with Lynn being relegated to the Midland Division at the end of the 1986-87 season. Further relegation might have followed but for other teams either opting for other leagues or going out of business.
Promotion from the Southern League Eastern Division was won in the 2003-04 season but failure to win a play-off against the Western Division champions, Redditch United, resulted in Lynn taking a place in the Southern League Premier - which as a result on re-organisation, was just as far away from the Nationwide Conference as before. The 2005-06, and 2006-07 seasons saw Lynn reach the play-offs for the Conference regional leagues but once again just couldn't achieve the final step upwards.
Then in 2007-08 Lynn achieved the success they deserved - winning the Southern League title on the last day of the season with a 2-0 win at Merthyr Tydfil to put them clear of second placed Team Bath by two points, and so they joined Conference North.
Their time at the higher level was not to last, however. Despite finishing their first Conference North season in 17th place the club were demoted over a ground grading issue.
The following season saw Lynn in the Northern Premier (UniBond) League but they did not finished the season - being wound up in the High Court in December 2009 owing HMRC £77,000.
After a bidding process, the Borough Council of King's Lynn and West Norfolk awarded the lease of The Walks Stadium to the company running the speedway stadium and the club was reformed as Lynn FC.
The club began life in the United Counties League with promotion being achieved to the Northern Premier League Division One (Southern) in 2012 and to the Northern Premier League Premier Division the following season.
Lynn returned to Step 2 of the non-league pyramid at the end of the 2018-19 season via the play-off and a back-to-back promotion saw them promoted to Step 1 in the 2019-20 season that was prematurely ended by the global pandemic COVID-19.

One of the lesser known facts that might come up in a sports trivia quiz is that Lynn, at one time, were one of the most successful teams in the FA Cup. Successful, that is, in terms of the proportion of games won compared to the number played.
Lynn's FA Cup debut came in the 1900-01 season and ended in the third qualifying round with defeat against Luton at The Walks having accounted for Kirkley, Harwich and Lowestoft in the previous rounds.
This must have been quite a season for Lynn as they also reached the final of the FA Amateur Cup - possibly typical of Lynn's luck this was before the finals were staged at Wembley. Lynn took Crook Town to a replay but lost it 3-0.
The next notable foray in the FA Cup was in 1906 when we conceded ground advantage and were promptly thrashed 11-0 at Aston Villa in front of a 23,000 crowd.
Cup success in terms of appearances in the First Round Proper of the competition was hard to come by prior to the Second World War although defeat in the qualifying rounds often came at the hands of what might now be considered tough opposition such as Shrewsbury, Southend and Stockport County.

The visit of Exeter City in the First Round Proper of the competition in the 1951-52 season saw Lynn's biggest gate of just under 13,000. Lynn were defeated 3-1 although the match reports suggest that they could have done much better had they played as well in the first half as they did in the second when they only had ten fit players left.
The 1959-60 season produced a the dream cup draw - Norwich against Lynn. The only trouble was that Norwich had to win a cup replay against Reading first and they didn't. So Lynn went to Reading in the Second Round proper and lost 2-4. It was around this period that Lynn seemed to have got the hang of cup competitions and this culminated in their only appearance in the Third Round Proper where they bowed out to Everton at Goodison Park in front of a crowd of 44,916 which earned them a cheque for £4,300. On route to Goodison, Lynn overcame Coventry City which resulted in the departure of the Coventry manager who was replaced by a certain Mr Jimmy Hill. Had it not been for Lynn's cup exploits, it can be claimed, Jimmy Hill might never have become the household name he did.
(KLFC have much to answer for!)
History was made in the 2006-07 season when Lynn reached the Second Round Proper of the competition and were drawn at home to League One Club Oldham Athletic. This match was chosen by Sky Sports to be broadcast live whilst BBC Radio Five gave second half football commentary. In addition to reaching an international audience the club received £75,000 from SKY and £4,500 from the BBC although some of this had to be spent on ground improvements in order to get the capacity raised to 5,733.

Away from the FA Cup Lynn have regularly picked up the Norfolk Senior Cup and have had successes in the East Anglian Cup although in recent seasons they have declined to compete. The FA Trophy and FA Vase runs have invariably been a disappointment although the semi-final of the latter was reached in 2010.

It seems that football has been played at The Walks since the club was formed. Newspaper cuttings give us some hints as to the history of how it progressed from a field to a football ground. The Eastern Daily Press of October 1892 tells us that it is no longer possible to witness games without paying admission as "Huge canvas screens have been erected, and the playing portion of the field is now fully wired in." By 1893 there seems to have been some sort of segregation - season tickets cost 2 shillings for admission to the north and east sides of the ground and double that for the south and west sides. In September 1896 it is reported that a covered stand was used for the first time, and in 1899 £40 was spent on a new pavillion. In 1905 the stand had to be demolished. A sum of £250 was borrowed and builder William Smith was employed to build a wooden grandstand one hundred feet long and capable of seating four hundred, the "opening" taking place on 9th September 190511. This debt was paid off by virtue of the visit to Aston Villa the following year in the FA (then English) Cup. This was almost certainly one of the reasons why Lynn switched the tie from the Walks to Villa Park. The deal being £250 plus a percentage of the gate over a certain figure. As a result of the cup tie Lynn eventually received £264 16s 4d (for younger people who do not understand this kind of money please ask your parents - or maybe grandparents ).
The ends of the ground have been referred to by different names over the years - the one to the east being Tennyson Road or the workhouse/poor house end and the other the Walks/Hospital/Seven Sisters end. The hospital is now long gone - the Seven Sisters refer to seven lime trees that are planted at that end of the ground back in 1760. Over the years these have been replaced and at one stage were just seven flower beds. Some reports describe Lynn as "kicking down the slope", one assumes towards the Seven Sisters - it is not clear when the ground was levelled.

It was the Supporters' Club who are largely responsible for the ground as it appears today.
When the club became professional in 1948 it became the ambition of the Supporters Club to build a new stand together with offices for officials, dressing rooms, canteen and gymnasium. A reserve fund for the project was opened in 1950 and stood at £500. By the end of the 1954 season, however, the club had debts of £2,600. The Supporters' Club rose to the challenge, and whilst attempting to clear the club's debts erected concrete terracing and shelter to accommodate four thousand people with seating for seven hundred and eighty on the north side of the ground. (The 780 seats, incidentally, were later sold to Hereford United on their promotion to the Football League). On completion of the North Stand the supporters turned their attention back to the original project and in May 1955 the club announced that it had sold the now 50 year old stand to a Spalding firm and had received planning permission for a new stand made of brick and steel which would be over 200 feet long with seating for 1,400 and a front enclosure for a further 3,000. The plan was to have a ground that could provide covered accommodation for 8,000. In August 1956 that aim was realised.

On Saturday 18 August 1956 the new grandstand was opened by Mr Arthur Drewry, the Chairman of the Football Association and President of FIFA. The stand cost £27,000 to build and a crowd of over six thousand attended the opening and the Midland League game that followed (a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Rotherham Reserves).
The FA Cup run culminating in the visit to Everton was probably one of the few bright spots in the 1960s as the club struggled against debt. In the early months of 1960 the club was wound up and restarted as a limited company and almost immediately a "Save the Linnets" fund was launched - the target being £5,000 that was needed to see the club finish the season. Finances have, in effect, dominated the fortunes of the club ever since and therefore the changes to the ground have been more modest.
Floodlights were installed and switched on for the first competitive match on September 25 1963 when a crowd of 2,391 watched Lynn defeat Cambridge City in the first leg of the Culey Festival Cup. (This was not the first time that a match had been played at The Walks under "lights". On 15 September 1893 Lynn entertained Wisbech in what was known as the "Electric Light match" and lost 5-1.)

Since the early 1960s it has been a process of improving and replacing as required. The floodlights have been replaced, the interior refurbished, the terraces improved, in fact all that has needed to be done has been done and in the spring of 1997 the ground passed inspection for entry to the Conference.
In helping the club carry out the necessary work to the ground it was reported that King's Lynn & West Norfolk Council didn't feel that The Walks was an ideal place in the town for a Conference club.
With ever changing Health & Safety regulations and revised standards the capacity of The Walks was often revised downwards. In January 2000, the council and the club both contributed £8,000 in order that the safety capacity of the ground could be raised  from three to four thousand.
The summer of 2007 saw the roof of the grandstand and the seating replaced as part of a £350,000 project. The plans to renovate the 50-year-old stand were announced after securing a £150,000 grant from the Football Foundation's 'Football Stadia Improvement Fund' (FSIF) in a successful joint bid with partners West Norfolk council.
Council officials had already earmarked £200,000 of capital funding towards the project. More work took place than anticipated as during the roof replacement work rainwater damaged the rooms below and these were totally refurbished.
The stadium, however, did not meet the standard required of the Conference North in respect of the size of the changing rooms, the number of turnstiles and the lux of the floodlights which resulted in the club's demotion in 2009.

1 Lynn Advertiser 18th April 1868 reported that members of the football club held a steeplechase of over a mile and three quarters length on fields adjoining the Hardwick Road.
2 Lynn Advertiser 8th January reported Lynn v Iceni at Docking on 1st January 1876.
3 Lynn Advertiser 11th November 1876.
4 Lynn Star amalgated with King's Lynn FC during the summer of 1891. Lynn Advertiser 26th Sept 1891
The Club then became Lynn Football Association.
5 Lowestoft Journal 12 February 1881.
The initial meeting to form the Norfolk Football Association took place in Lynn with a second taking place in the Rampant Horse Hotel in Norwich on Saturday 26th February. There the rules of the NFA were agreed amongst which was a requirement that each club paid an annual subscription of 10 shillings and six pence.
6 Lynn Advertiser 3rd September 1881 (Page 5). Norfolk Chronicle 3rd September 1881 (Page 6)
7 The Sporting Life, Thursday 6th October
8 The Norwich Mercury makes the comment on the 1883 Lynn team fielded in the Norfolk Senior Cup final that Lynn "introduced three of the finest players in England into their team, Messrs. A.T.B Dunn, C.P. and K.P. Wilson who were all born near Lynn."
Dunn was born in Whitby where his parents were on holiday at the time, it is not sure where his parents lived in Norfolk.
Charles Plumpton Wilson was born in Roydon (1859) his brother Kenneth Plumpton Wilson in Ringstead (1861).
9 In the match against Nottingham Beeston on Good Friday 31 March 1893 both teams wore white shirts. Lynn wearing "a badge on their arms". Lynn Advertiser 8th April 1893
10 Lynn Advertiser 19th April 1890 at the dinner in the Town Hall given to commemorate the winner of the Norfolk Senior Cup the toast was made to "The King's Lynn Footbal Club".
11 Eastern Daily Press 11 September 1905. The stand was opened by the Mayor of Lynn (Mr E Dunn) prior to the match against Peterborough. "The club's stand is a substantial erection of wood and corrugated iron capable of holding 400 spectators. Provision has been made in it for the accommodation of press men, and the structure is in every way worthy of the traditions of the Lynn ground".