• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Contact Us
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

  • The season kicked off with what was known as the "Electric Light match". Temporary lighting was rigged up for the visit of Wisbech Town on Friday 15th September in a match intended to raise money for local charities. Scheduled to start at 8 p.m. the match was some ten minutes late starting as the large crowd stood around the roped off pitch. Visibility under the lights was none too good and the spectators only got a view of what was going on when play came close to them. To make matters worse the leather ball, which was painted white, began to return to its normal state as the match progressed. Despite losing the game 5-1 the event was a financial success and there was good news for the Lynn players. That season, for the first time, the club was to pay their travelling expenses to away games and shirts, in the club colours of black and white stripes, would also be provided.
  • Football played under normal lighting conditions saw Lynn return mixed results. A draw against Royal Artillery Great Yarmouth was followed by victories over Norwich CEYMS and Beeston before Lynn tasted defeat at the hands of Finedon. The 2nd eleven were less fortunate and the season started with a number of heavy defeats. In fact in one match against Walsoken the second half wasn't played because the reserves had already fallen behind by ten goals.
  • A Walsoken team also provided the opposition in the first round of the Wisbech Hospital Cup when Lynn's first team took on Walsoken Victory and won 2-1. Not all decisions made by the referee met with the approval of the crowd and the Lynn Advertiser observed "Hooting and booing when mistakes are made by the referee is bad form". The referee, a Mr Piggins, was followed by a yelling crowd through The Walks to the railway station.
  • What was described by the Eastern Daily Press as a hurricane hit Lynn one Saturday afternoon in November. Ships ran aground at Wells and in Lynn the river flooded the quayside. At The Walks, Peterborough were the visitors. Whilst having no covered stand at this time there was some form of canvas which was erected before each match although on stormy days this proved quite difficult and on this occasion impossible. Lynn won 3-O and one of the more amusing incidents reported from it was that of referee Mr Ducker who, it appears, wore a hat. At one point in the proceedings referee and hat parted company and as the official chased it across the field as play continued as normal.
  • The Saturday before Christmas saw the Norfolk team in action at The Walks. The County side fielded seven Lynn players but lost the match with Northampton 1-0. The Christmas Bank Holiday fixture at The Walks was watched by over 2,000 - Lynn defeating Nottinghamshire side Beeston 3-2.
  • Progress in The Norfolk Senior Cup was made at the expense of Wymondham (4-0) but the second round saw us away to the holders - Royal Artillery Great Yarmouth. Yarmouth won the encounter 1-0 in extra time but were they assisted by drugs? Somehow I think it was just the wrong choice of phrase as the Lynn Advertiser summed up the match - "The soldiers, under an able trainer, had received a special preparation, and this, coupled with the fact that the game was played on their own enclosure, enabled them to win".
  • Trailing 2-0 at half-time Lynn fought back to gain a 5-2 extra time victory against Wisbech in the semi-final of the Wisbech Hospital Cup at the Fenmen's Flint House ground. The home club lodged an appeal against the result claiming that Lynn's H Smith was a professional. Investigation showed that Smith had registered as a professional with Boston two years previous and that whilst he had never been paid for playing he had never re-registered as an amateur. The tie was ordered to be replayed, Lynn refused, and Wisbech progressed to the final only to be thrashed by Holbeach.
  • Not surprisingly when Lynn entertained Wisbech in the semi-final of the Lynn Hospital Cup there were a few scores to settle. Some Wisbech players were ridiculed by the Lynn crowd and after the match, which Lynn won 5-0, some team members were barracked all the way back to the station. The final of the Lynn Hospital Cup saw Norwich CEYMS win 4-1: receipts totalling £24 13s 6d.
  • The 1893-94 season saw Lynn play 22 matches at home and just 6 away. The biggest win was over 2nd Battalion Norfolk Regiment 10-1 and the total playing record was P 28 W 14 D 6 L 8. Sixty four goals were scored and forty two goals conceded. In the 28 matches there was just one goalless draw - that against Grimsby All Saints.